How to catach a close event on a website without javascript?

How can i catch a close event on a web page without the use of javascript. I have a site that a users has to log in to and from that I have to keep track of if they are logged in or not. My problem now comes when the user has to be marked as logged out. How can I solve the problem that when the browser closes unexpectedly that it then carries out a method that will mark the user as logged out. The log out methods works when the users logs out and then closes the application.

Favorite Answer

Bottom line: It's not possible, except maybe with VBScript. However, if you use that, you must understand that it will only work if the user is running a compatible browser on Windows. If you need to make sure users are logged off, you could try "timing out" their logged in status. i.e., after x number of minutes in which they do nothing, you assume the browser is closed and log them off automatically.

The problem you have is that the browser runs on the client and to detect events on the client you need a client side language. The only alternative that I know of is VB Script but that is not cross-browser compatible and is not supported in other Web Severs like Apache.