Where do I start learning more about whole middle east conflict?

I want to know more about all the problems of middle east. Right now, I have no idea what shiites, al qaeda, all those things are. It just seems like a big mess and I can't sort it out. But I really want to learn more about it because I think its important at this time.

Where can I begin to learn more about middle east? Where can I start? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Albert Hourani wrote a book called "A history of the Arab peoples" which is considered a classic history of the region. It's a pretty straightforward, easy to read book. If you read it you will begin to understand what the roots of the problems are. Even though one answerer wrote that the problems go back to the Crusades, in reality they go back even further than that!

Karen Armstrong has also written a book called "Islam: A short history" that is good for those new to the subject.

I recommend you start there and then see what your local library has in stock!

Source(s): BA minor in Middle Eastern Studies, MA Peace studies with focus on Middle East, 4 years of Arabic

Look for an unbiased history of the middle east conflict. But I warn you, a great deal of this goes back 1300 years to the crusades so you will be spending a lot of time reading.

You could start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab-Israeli_conflict and go from there on the net to answer questions that interest you. It is an amazing story of carrying a grudge for centuries!

Start by watching the "Ten Commandments"

Then upgrade it with "The Longest Day"

Follow by Christmas Carol.

And ET the Close Encounter.

Luke 6.39-40,41-45,46-49

What do you think?

Source(s): decoded from the missing x-files.

You could start with the bible it hasn't changed much since then.

google the words you don't understand and look it up in a dictionary. i'm pretty sure you'll find all you need.