Are nutmeg and ginger the same thing or close to the same thing?

If I use nutmeg instead of ginger is it going to change the results of what Im baking?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i dont know why dont you go to tacos.net

Source(s): the muffin man
  • 1 decade ago

They are completely different, you CANNOT substitute one for the other. Ginger has a distinct flavor and nothing will taste similar, it has a mild spicy/peppery flavor with a slight hint of sweetness, while nutmeg is very earthy and somewhat closer related to the flavor of cinnamon. Ginger and Nutmeg are in no way related at all in taste/flavor.

If you are making something like a gingerbread cookie, or pumpkin pie or something sweet, you could perhaps use a mix of cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg. The mix of the cloves and allspice will give just a hint of the flavor that the ginger would have added.

If you are making something savory that requires the spicy/peppery kick of fresh ginger then maybe you could try using some spicy paprika and see how that works..........but like i said ginger is very unique in it's flavor and no substitute will be the same as using the real thing...........I hope this helps

• 1 decade ago

No they are not the same thing at all. Ginger is sharp and somewhat bitey. Nutmeg is warm and earthy. However, they compliment each other well and they work well with cinnamon too. So yes, it will change what you are baking but that doesn't mean that it wont be good.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ginger is a root.

Nutmeg is a nut.

not even close to the same thing...

Nutmeg and ginger are not interchangeable ingredients!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Ginger, allspice and cloves the dried spices has a med. hot taste to your tongue and warm aroma.

Nutmeg on the other hand has a different affect on foods for instance eggnog, egg custard, ricotta cheese filling for lasagna, it takes the edge off the blandness of those dishes adds just a hint of spice so it's used very sparingly but adds just what you need when making these foods. Most pumpkin pie recipes include nutmeg in them and also candied sweet potatoes.

Enough said or I'll keep typing...love to cook...

Best spicy wishes,

Mama Jazzy Geri

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

YES!!!!!Ginger is very spicy. peppery Nutmeg is closer to Cinnamon

It depends on what you are making But I would not substitute nut meg for ginger Orange zest would be a better substitute or Lemon zest

• Ally
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

They are definitely different but they can compliment each other in certain recipes, so depending what you are baking, its possible you could substitute. Both are used together in a lot of typical fall baked goods so they aren't completely interchangeable but it would help to know what you are making to know if it you could substitute one for another. It won't make your recipe taste the same but the flavor could still work even if it is different.

• 1 decade ago

Definately different - as a matter of fact, if you change 1 molecule in ginger, you get capsaicin which is what makes cayenne pepper so hot

• 1 decade ago

Oh yea that is a BIG difference. Just give them a good sniff or two and you'll be able to tell just by the smell of them!

• 1 decade ago

I wonder why you'd think they're the same thing... They don't even taste very similar either...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it will alter the taste a little bit. there not related in any way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.