PICC line! CLOT? Please answer!?

I have a PICC line in my arm. It has been pretty hard to flush today. If I didn't push my HARDEST it would not flush. What does this mean? If it was a clot and I pushed it through what would happen? Also can you use regular water to flush with if you run out of saline flushes?

Favorite Answer

If you have a PICC line, I assume you have a home health agency or visiting nurse or some type of resource person to notify. Do not mess with your PICC line if anything unusual (such as this problelm) comes up. If you have a clot and you dislodge it, it could go to your lungs or heart. It is never okay to use anything to flush the line with except what your doctor or nurse has given you.If you flush with anything else you will set yourself up for a systemic (blood) infection that will be very very serious. If you have no resource person, you should go the emergency room for assistance. If you have no resource person, you should speak with your doctor, as it is totally unrealistic to send anyone home with a PICC line without someone monitoring it.

Source(s): I'm an RN.