is choosing the magic jack phone service a good idea?

is there anything wrong with the idea or is it a scam any reasons why it would be a bad choice

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, there's nothing wrong with the idea at all - assuming your computer (and broadband connection) is at least average (above average will help).

No, it's certainly not a scam at all. There's probably been over a million of them sold worldwide now and vast majority of buyers do like them. Many of us LOVE it! I like the idea of beating Ma Bell at her own game. Hehe

But those with below average computers (old or too slow, not enough memory, loaded down with spyware, etc.) are NOT happy that it didn't work for them. I think many people don't realize their pc is outdated. Instead of saying their computer isn't up to par for it, may will just say Magic Jack is a lousy product. Casting blame elsewhere is common these days.

http://www.magic-jack.info/

Go to the above web site to learn more about it. You can find links to discount coupon (promo) codes to save anywhere from $2.00 to $6.95.

There are a lot of troubleshooting tips there for those who may have a problem. There's also a link to a cool test of your pc connection to see if it is VoIP ready as far as standards like jitter and packet loss.

I would not suggest you not cancel your regular phone line for at least a month or 2 to be sure you are happy with using a Magic Jack instead. But, as a cheap second line and a way to to save on long distance fees, you just can't beat it!

Since it comes with a 30 day free trial and they will pay postage for you to return it if you are not satisfied, why NOT give it a shot?

Good Luck!

• 1 decade ago

The biggest issue with it is that you have to have your computer on. That and if your power goes out, you don't have a phone.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.