Our City has a 3 yr. old female German Shepherd Police Dog fully trained (not spayed). Need selling price.?

This dog is trained for narcotics, search & capture, and search & rescue. Good disposition. She is not for sale yet, but wanting to get an idea of what she would likely sell for.

Favorite Answer

All respects to the previous answerer's, but they are quoting prices for regular puppies, not trained full grown dogs which go for many thousands more.

Now if your dog is being retired from police work, you will not be able to sell her. The Chicago Police and the Cook County Sheriff's both give those dogs away for free. They are retired at ages 6 through 7, depending. No one will pay for a retired dog as their medical costs escalate when they are older. Plus they may have a problem socializing and they can be perceived as being dangerous as well as being a liability.

From what I have heard, most trained dogs can be sold for $7,000 and above. Can go for as much as $20,000 for the right department, however a lot of variables come into play such as the dogs age, expected working life span. Her temperament. Also her grade of tracking/sniffing ability. Another factor is she used for taking a criminal down. Normally they use larger male dogs for that.

Undoubtedly any interested buyers will need to examine her documents. They may want to verify those documents are accurate too. Also for a final test, they may want to test her, any law enforcement officials worth their salt will want to verify she can indeed do the job.

Has the dog been insured and bonded too? Or has she been denied coverage from any damages?

Are you a police department/agency selling the dog? If you are, why are you trying to sell the dog? What is wrong with her?

These are questions that need to be answered before any serious answer can be given.

As a side note, Bullwinkle and the first Bear appear to have excellent answers

These dogs if used for capture have a shorter working life span so are not worth much past a certain age. The older dogs are only used for search and rescue plus narcotics and explosives.

Bear and Bullwinkle have said all that needs to be said, but someone else may offer more info.

Good luck, hope I helped

• Bear

I have many many questions on why a police agency would take the time to spend the money for training and not use the dog when the training is completed. That agency just wasted $10,000 to $15,000 in just training.

If the dog has a good disposition why are they selling it? What about the handler? Why is he/she not taking the dog? Are the police agency going to take responsibility when the dog bites someone? They trained the dog and then sold it, they will be responsible, especially if they sell it to a non police person.

Source(s): K9 Officer - My GSD is Yukon

I am not a K9 officer but I work closely with several of them in Chicago.

Bear and Bullwinkle appear to be correct. The other two are used to dogs for the general public and not trained police dogs.

Where are you trying to sell the dog to? A person or a police department?

Source(s): Chicago PD 15 yrs

Odd question indeed. It's not uncommon to have police dogs work until 10 yrs old. I worked one who was 12 before. I concur with bullwinkle and bear though I've never seen a dog worth 20,000 dollars before. It would have to be able to not only find a bomb, but dismantle it before we would pay that much for one. Departments figure around 7 grand for a trained dog but usually buy from professional breeders and not other departments.. Is your department going out of business??

Dog nut here. Bullwinkle and Bear are the top guys here. But the first two are only talking about personal dog prices, and not police dogs

Source(s): German Shepherd trainer and general dog nut

Bullwinkle and Bear are the only one's who are correct here

Source(s): <--retired police Lt 35 yrs experience K9 My GSD's were Caesar Donner Baron Luger

$500

I'd say anywhere from $300 to $500. Why are they selling her?