Is borax on carpet safe?

I have been battling a flea problem with my dog and I was reading questions that other people had asked about how to get rid of fleas in your home. One person said to put borax on your carpet and it would kill the fleas. My question is how safe would borax be on carpet? If it was just the powder form that you... show more I have been battling a flea problem with my dog and I was reading questions that other people had asked about how to get rid of fleas in your home. One person said to put borax on your carpet and it would kill the fleas.

My question is how safe would borax be on carpet? If it was just the powder form that you left on for a while and vacuumed up?
Update: Okay, this is what I've done so far. I've bathed my dog numerous times, I've used powerful spray in my house (we'd have to leave the house each time), I've used the medicine that goes on his back, flea collars and even some flea spray for my dog. I just want to know how safe borax is for the... show more Okay, this is what I've done so far. I've bathed my dog numerous times, I've used powerful spray in my house (we'd have to leave the house each time), I've used the medicine that goes on his back, flea collars and even some flea spray for my dog. I just want to know how safe borax is for the carpet please.