Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What can I put on steamed broccoli to make it less boring?

I'm trying to be good and eat more vegetables, so I'm making some steamed broccoli.

I don't want to make it unhealthy by smothering it in cheese or butter.

But you can only eat so much PLAIN broccoli everyday before it's totally boring.

What can I put on it to make it more tasty that won't be adding on a bunch of calories or salt?

Best Answer

I like it steamed with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray. Five sprays is 0 calories and 0 fat. I also like to add some roasted garlic.

I also enjoy this recipe:

Steamed Broccoli with Hummus

a 19-ounce can chick-peas, rinsed and drained (about 2 cups)

3 tablespoons well-stirred tahini (sesame seed paste)*

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1 teaspoon salt

3 to 6 tablespoons water

1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, washed well, spun dry, and minced

1 pound broccoli, tough ends of stems discarded

*available at specialty foods shops and most supermarkets

Preparation in a food processor: purée chick-peas, tahini, lemon juice, oil, and garlic paste and, if a smoother texture is desired, force through a fine sieve into a bowl. Whisk in enough water to reach a pourable but still thick consistency and stir in parsley and salt to taste.

Cut broccoli stems into spears about 5 inches long with flowerets 1 1/2 inches wide. On a steamer rack set over boiling water steam broccoli, covered, until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.

Serve broccoli topped with hummus.

You can also buy hummus that is fairly low in calories/fat.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Steam...

I also like it topped with some tomato sauce...adds great flavor without alot of added calories and you get another veg in there.

It's also good topped with a balsamic vinaigrette. As long as the vinaigrette is made with healthy oils, you need the healthy fats anyway and it tastes delicious.

You can also make a mock alfredo sauce with Laughing Cow cheese.

This makes 1 serving and I got the recipe from Hungry Girl.

Laughing Cow Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients

1/2 wedge laughing cow cheese

1 tsp Fat Free Sour Cream

1 tbsp parmesan, grated cheese

Directions

Partially microwave laughing cow in microwave safe dish. Add sour cream and parmesan and microwave to gooey consistency. Stir into a hot dish (such as noodles, broccoli or cauliflower.)

• tefft

Seasoning For Steamed Broccoli

• janet

Dry spices -- if you have a favorite, obviously choose that one.

On steamed broccoli, you could try rosemary, garlic, thyme, -- not all at the same time, but individually. You could add black pepper or even red pepper flakes for some added spice.

Also, you could toss the broccoli in just a very small amount of olive oil and then add the spices.

Also, have you ever just eaten broccoli raw -- it is a nice crunchy texture and would give you a change from steamed broccoli.

• Marta

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awiod

I read it all Jess. When I started going downhill, Y!A was where I turned to. I felt like I didn't have anyone else in real life, so I started going on here more often, and it has helped me so much. If I didn't come on here, I wouldn't have found you! And jess, you helped me a lot too. (: You should join youth group at church. I was thinking of doing that too. The people there are so kind, and they do fun things. You can definetly find someone there to talk to, and be friends with. Trust me! Why don't you try talking to your old friends? The ones in the youtube videos. You guys seemed like you were all great friends. Try to get back in touch with them. * You're not ugly at all. I think you're really pretty. * Eat healthier, and excersise. That's all. Whenever you do start to lose weight, you won't notice it. But jeans don't lie. If you notice your jeans getting baggier, that's how you will know you lost weight. If you want to, talk to your counselor and get help from her on how to lose weight. You could join a gym too. I know that a lot of skinny people go there like you said, but they are just trying to keep in shape. Ignore them. You're there for yourself. * If you don't like your counselor, tell your mom. Just say that you want a different one, because she's not helping. Like you said, you're close with your mom. Take advantage of that. Tell her everything that's going on and how you feel, because she can help you. And no, you don't look like a scene retard. (: Stay Strong Jess! :D <3

• Angel

My Fav! Heat olive oil w/ minced garlic, stir into steamed broccoli! Delish & Nutrish! Bon Appetite!

Well, this will sound weird, but I put hoisin sauce (did I spell that right?) and a pinch of salt and pepper. I do add a very small amount of butter, well, land o lakes butter spread.

Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese on it... not the kind in the canister but the kind you get in a tub in the cheese aisle or near the fresh pastas and sauces... Parmesan is strong in flavor and somewhat salty so you won't need much and you won't need salt - it's also low in calories

I was going to say Parmesan cheese.

But try Balsamic vinegar or a lo-fat salad dressing.

fruit grows on shrub or vines and fruit and vegetables grow in the floor.

• Aaron

Normally i would just say fruit, but i think both. I really like the sweet taste of the fruits but i love the essence and kick the greens bring