Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Why do we support Israel?

They bring us no economic development whatsoever, as their population and economy is small (though efficient) and is alive only because of our aid. They give us no foreign policy benefits whatsoever as they cause most countries to hate us (especially Muslim countries). They're similar to that small friend we all have that picks fights expecting us to back them up. I guarantee that if we let them go, 99 percent of our problems would disappear. So I ask, besides politicians wallets and christians' belief in the coming of jesus, do we have any tangible reason to support israel? I don't want to hear any crap about "Because they are our ally", alliances are formed and maintained for reasons usually beneficial to both parties, and that's not what I notice?

thoughts?

please star

Update:

1.There are dozens of fledgling democracies in the world who are supported by hostile nations that we could give a rats *** about, but when ISrael is attacked we'll risk the whole might of the United States..

2.Again, none of the ISraeli supporters have given me any tangible benefit for the US support of Israel aside from calling me anti semitic.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The main reason is that Israel has the strongest lobby in the US. No senator, congressman or even the president (regardless of party) will win an office if he is perceived to be not pro-Israel (Barack Obama included). Rahm Israel Emanuel, Obama's appointed chief of staff, is the son of an Israeli extremist that was a member of a terrorist organization before 1948. He introduced Obama to the AIPAC, the main arm of the Israeli lobby.

Want to know more? check out the following references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Israel_Lobby_and_...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Dare_to_Speak_Ou...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine_Peace_Not_A...

If it wasn't for the Israel Lobby, then there would be some hope for the US to be a true broker for peace in this conflict.

Please check my answer below for more background about the Palestine-Israel conflict:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgKKX...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I Support Palestine 100%

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We support Israel for two primary reasons: (1) historical guilt about the Holocaust; (2) extremely effective lobbying done by Israel-oriented interest groups, such as AIPAC.

For some interesting discussions, see: Norman Finkelstein's "The Holocaust Industry" and "Beyond Chutzpah"; John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt's "The Israel Lobby."

• America is a Christian nation. As such it is written in the Bible that we are to support Israel. Aside from that, I got tell you, the Israeli army is pretty formidable. They may be small but they are mighty.

Here;s a little known factoid - did you know that the military academies like West Point, etc., will not even use the battles of Israel in their curriculum because the outcomes were too unbelievable? Hum.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think the main reason is that Israel is the only nation in the Middle East that shares our phylosophy on how to govern that part of the world. In addition, Israel has the best trained military in the world as well as technological. They are our buffer between the radicals muslims who wish to take down the west.

• 1 decade ago

They are a democratic Country surrounded by hostile people and our surest ally in the region. "Letting them go", an interesting term for an action that results in the completion of Hitler's "Final Solution" and you are incorrect if you think Israel's destruction would bring a solution to our problems, you have that in common with the Nazi party. They too blamed the Jews for all their problems.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Israelis are surrounded by millions of muslims who want their destruction and who have repeatedly attacked them.

Are you an anti-semite Obama supporter?

Israel is also a well armed ally in a volatile part of the world where we have a national interest, oil.

P.S. You can't guarantee ANYTHING.

• 1 decade ago

We promote democracy around the world. Even sending troops to war to help establish democracy. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East. If we do not support democracy there, then how can we justify sending our young men to die for the sake of democracy in other parts of the world? We would be discrediting our own policy and disgracing the lives of those who have fought and died in the name of democracy and freedom.

Source(s): American policy on supporting and promoting democracy throughout the world.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What's wrong with supporting friends ? Maybe if there were more people in the middle east who yearned for a peaceful co-existence, supporting a friend / ally would not be considered a negative, as you seem to imply.

• S P
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Mostly due to the large amount of Jewish people in the US, and the other side wanting Americans dead. You may recall when CNN showed the Palestinians celebrating in the streets when 9/11 happened.

Muslim countries aren't known for letting bygones be bygones.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.