Molly asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Are human blood cells Prokaryotes or eukaryotes?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Every single cell inside our body is eukaryotic.

I realize you are asking this question because our blood cells do not contain a nucleus. Actually it does contain a nucleus at first. It's during maturity that it loses this nucleus. A ring of actin filaments contracts and pinches off a segment of the cell that contains the nucleus, a type of "cell division." The nucleus is then swallowed by macrophages (one of the immune system's quick-response troops). The genes and signaling pathways that drive the pinching-off process, however, were a mystery. Here's a site that will give you more info about it http://www.news-medical.net/?id=35294

So not all cells that lack a nucleus is a prokaryotic cell. I think that definition should change. Either way ... red blood cells cannot be catergorized as cells that completely lack a nucleus since at a certain point of its cell cycle it did contain a nucleus.

Also the idea that prokaryotes are single cell is wrong too. Prokaryotes can live as multiceullar formations. This is a very wrong idea since scientists are starting to learn more about certain multi cellular formations in prokaryotes. As always in science "NEVER SAY NEVER".

example -

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Biology-664/Multicellul...

Shapiro, J. A. 1998. “Thinking about bacterial populations as multicellular organisms.” Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 52: 81-104.

Multicellular life cycle of magnetotactic prokaryotes by KEIM Carolina N. et al.

Source(s): PhD candidate (I teach Biology at my University)
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Cheek cells are eukaryotic cells. Because it has a nucleus and cell organnels, all of which are enclosed by membranes. Let me teach you something about biology. All human cells are eukaryotic and so is all animals and plants. The only thing that has a prokaryotic cell is monera or commonly called bacteria. Prokaryotic cells are single celled organisms. Therefore the name of bacteria in scientific language is monera or prokaryotes. Hope this helped :)

• 1 decade ago

Eukaryotes! Prokaryotes are single celled organisms with no organelles or membrane bound nuclei. All human cells are eukaryotes.

• eukaryotes. they start off with a nucleus and organelles, then later loose them, so they have similar characteristics to prokaryotes, but they are still a eukaryotic cell.

Source(s): biology major
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

eukaryotes

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

eukaryotes

• 1 decade ago

eukaryotes

Source(s): bio class
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

eukaryotes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.