Lv 5
. asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Does anyone derserve to be out of business more than the American Automakers?

Should the Japanese Automakers be encouraged to build cars in the US. instead?

Update:

*deserve :)

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Teri
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. The banks that made bad mortgage loans to people who couldn't pay their mortgage (thus driving up property values and exacerbating the problem) and the investment banks and insurance companies (*AIG*) who bundled those troubled mortgages into securities and sold them off to unwitting investors not only deserve to go bankrupt, but should be investigated from criminal behavior IMO.

No doubt the automakers are in a bad spot, but bailing them out will only prolong the problem to be handled another day by someone else. In bankruptcy, they may be able to renegotiate with their work force and become more competitive. The way they are organized now, they will never be able to compete with the Japanese and will never be able to cost-effectively produce a fuel efficient car that everyone thinks is the salvation of our environment and economy.

But I don't think they "deserve" it.. Unions and benefit plans are parts of their infrastructure that were inherited from the leadership of the past. I just think it's the only solution to get them to a better place.

• hansen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I help the bailout, even if I do it with strings connected. Seeing as how the automakers are in straight forward words worth a pair billion any way, will the yankee taxpayer own their asses? i think that the executives might want to all be fired and adjusted by making use of those that would make the problematic judgements to get rid of the gasoline hogs, jointly with the suv's (ie hummer/explorer/trailblazer etc etc) and those vehicles which aren't from now on promoting nicely. The loans might want to must be paid decrease back interior of 5 years or the U. S. authorities will forcibly grab administration of the business business enterprise. i think an similar must have utilized to banking market (yet thats has develop into one of those clusterf*ck, that no one quite is easily-known with what is going on there).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, if they go out of business that's 3 million lost jobs in the u.s. That is an expensive loss as well. I think the government should step in but require that all CEO's and board members resign immediately. That means the Ford family would have to go as well. If the government helped this family that would look horrible and probably be illegal. But then after they all left, get someone in the position to work for $1 a year like Ioccocca did with Chrystler back in 1980. This person should restructure the business, get the business on track for new technologies like plug in hybrids that get 180MPG's or all electric cars. Steve Jobs would be a good candidate for this. As would the current owner and founder of the TESLA Motors corporation (an all electric car company). I can't remember this guy's name but he created PayPal. So you have two very innovative minds here working to turn the corporations around. Then along with restructuring the companies, you would have to make health care for this country into a universal single payer system like Canda, France or Britain or an American version of all three models. This would cut alot of $$ from the auto maker's expenses for their employees so they can pay them a decent wage like they do now. It would take an enormous amount of work but it would be better than where they are headed now. My god we have so much this country needs right now, we need a Marshall Plan just to get our own country up to speed on everything including technology, education, infrastructure, green technologies and economies. The problems we face are enormous.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

With the Big 3 U.S. Automakers circling the drain, here are 10 solutions to the current crisis and none of them involve sticking your head between your legs and kissing your rear goodbye.

http://fastandloud.com/how-to-save-the-us-automoti...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • mikey
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Why do they *deserve* it? More than the mortgage co.s who offered high risk loans? More than the central bankers who engineered this mess?

A lot of suppliers, such as steel, carpet, glass & tire makers will also be hurt by the auto co.s failing. Do they deserve it too?

Oh, and the Japanese auto makers have been building cars and parts suppliers in this country for nearly 30 years.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Housing barons, real estate, armaments, banks,Wall Street. The auto makers can indeed build US made cars

• Allie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Ten jobs will go away for every big 3 job lost. That includes the dealerships in your local towns. The drain on our social programs will be massive if all three go down.

I have never liked the fact that their benefits were obscene, but I still have mixed emotions about this.

• 1 decade ago

All the US automakers need to start completly over. The unions have bloated theur payrolls so bad the companies can no longer compete.

• 1 decade ago

Japanese car makers already build cars in the US.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

thats like saying, kill your kid because he spilled milk on the carpet..everyone is in this together, i know the big wigs at GM and Ford are not to bright, but look at the fools in all the other companies they are bailing out.the car companies make things people will use, AIG on the other hand, takes your money and uses it for get aways, what the hell are they getting away from??????

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.