promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Apart from humans, what other animals sometimes eat their own species?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Any meat-eating animal will eat the flesh of a dead member of its own species if it is starving, just as humans would. The males of many of these species will kill the offspring of other males, and often eat them. If the young die or are stillborn, the mother will often eat them. She may even kill them herself due to stress, or if they are sickly and unlikely to survive. Eating dead offspring like this allows the mother to recycle the nutrients she has lost nurturing the young. There are very few animals that actively hunt adult members of their own species for food, though in certain spider and mantis species, females often eat males after mating.

Source(s): I used to be a zookeeper and have studied animals all my life.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

There are many species that do this.

Lots of insects do. For example, the praying mantis or the black widow. They don't ALWAYS eat other members of their species, but they've been known to.

Also, lots of rodents do. Mice are a prime example of this. Let a mouse have babies and see how many are still around in the morning.

Some species of rabbit do occasionally, some wild dog species; really there are a lot of species that do SOMETIMES. It's not something they do all the time.

And usually humans don't eat their own species. That's usually just the really sick, twisted, demented people.

• 6 years ago

Humans do eat other humans - especially for survival under extreme circumstances - ex: Chilean Andes 1972 - Rugby team

• 1 decade ago

last I checked Humans do not eat their young, although with 5 children of my own, I am beginning to see why some species do eat their young.

Seriously though, hamsters, mice, rats do eat their young

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Praying Mantis, Chimpanzees, Rodents, racoons, and not humans (unless ur a cannibal)

• 1 decade ago

one species of beetle that looks like a ladybug does

Source(s): national geographic magizine :D
  • 1 decade ago

Humans dont eat their own

• 1 decade ago

ive seen a dog eat its new born pup

Source(s): eyes
  • 1 decade ago

ants and heaps of other insects.

also some female spiders after mating

• 1 decade ago

hamsters ewww its nasty

the mommy eats the babies sometimes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.