I live in Florida but I'm relocating to California. ?

Can I file for Unemployment in California while I find a job? Or if not in California, maybe through Florida? I just need some sort of income while I relocate myself..

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you are relocating to California but had employment in Florida during the base period, you may file your claim using the Internet or telephone.

    According to http://www.floridajobs.org/Unemployment/index.html...

    "A claim for unemployment compensation benefits can be filed using the Internet at www.fluidnow.com. The Internet is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. A claim may also be filed by telephone by calling toll free 1-800-204-2418. Choose the language and then option 2. The telephone center is open to process claims Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm. Florida law requires that the effective date of your claim will be the Sunday prior to the day you file the claim. You may also file by mail. Claim booklets are available at the One Stop Career Centers throughout Florida. The booklet contains the form required to file your claim. You must complete the form and mail it to the address as listed in the booklet or fax it to the number listed in the booklet. The effective date of your claim will be the Sunday prior to the postmark date or the Sunday prior to the date the form is faxed to our agency. A list of the One Stop Career Centers may be found on the Internet website at http://www.floridajobs.org/onestop/onestopdir/inde... Computers are also available at the One Stop Career Centers so that you can file your claim using the Internet"

  • hr4me
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    You would need to file the claim for benefits in Florida as that is where you earned the wages in. Check with your state to see if you would qualify for unemployment, depends on the reason you are no longer working. If you quit your job or were fired "for cause" then you won't be eligible to receive benefits. Also, if you quit a job to move to another state they may deny the claim or suspend the claim for so many weeks as a penalty.

    I moved from Texas to California to follow my spouses company, filed the claim in Texas (per the state of california) and then they penalized me for 8 weeks before benefits would kick in. I suggest before you move and are depending on that income you call and speak to the state of Florida unemployment dept. so you don't get stuck out here with no money.


  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Try saving the money first then move.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.