Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Can you lose weight by eating small meals?

Is it better to eat small meals throughout the day, or just stick to 3 square meals a day? Which is better for losing weight?

70 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It is not healthy to restrict the amount of calories that you consume by starving yourself. Opposed to the traditional thinking that three meals a day is best, today's research now shows that 5-6 smaller meals each day can actually help you achieve your weight loss goals. If you limit your calorie consumption too drastically your can put your health at serious risk.

While trying to lose weight, more and more people are victims of “roller coaster diets.” Your body will experience starvation from diet plans that restrict your calories, and thus decrease your body’s metabolism. Your body doesn’t use a lot of calories when this occurs, and that leads to extreme hunger.

You should eat between 5 and 6 smaller meals each and every day to increase your body’s metabolic rate. Your body will be able to burn calories all day long because your metabolism will increase. If you eat foods that are high in protein during your six meals, you’ll be able to increase your metabolism even further.

Because of the thermic effect of food, you’ll be able to boost your metabolism by eating regularly. To create the thermic effect, you’ll need to absorb and digest a lot of calories of food. Ranging from 3 to 30 percent, different foods have different percentages of the thermic effect. A 30 percent thermic effect can be taken from high protein foods. Tuna, salmon, and turkey are all good examples of this type of foods. By simply digesting these foods, 30 percent of their calories are burned. Complex and fibrous carbohydrates burn away 20 percent of their calories during digestion. Spinach, broccoli, green beans, and corn are all good examples of fibrous/complex carbohydrates. Refined carbohydrates and fats have a very low thermic effect. Dietary fat is stored very easily because of this.

Your energy level will rise while you eat 5-6 smaller meals each day, while your hunger level will diminish. Helping to prevent hunger, you will also be able to maintain better balanced blood sugar levels. In order to increase your body’s metabolic rate, you can develop muscle. You can maintain insulin levels in your body by eating regularly. This will promote muscle growth by facilitating amino acid production in your muscle cells. You can gain a steady output of insulin by eating every 3 hours – this is very good for storing glycogen and for muscle growth.

Your targeted weight loss will be easier to accomplish as a result of eating healthy foods more regularly. Your body will also gain the advantage of processing minerals and vitamins more effectively. It is important to maintain a consistent schedule for eating. Planning your meals this way will be well worth the effort, although it might be difficult to adjust at first.

Get into the habit of feeding your body foods that are rich in nutrients – that will help to prevent hunger and cravings. The best way to go is to incorporate a weight loss program including a good diet of lean protein, fruit, vegetables, and healthy fats. Eating a diet like that with 5-6 meals each day will increase your body’s metabolism, increase your energy, and accelerate the growth of muscle. You’ll also store very little fat, and you can make your diet more effective by combining it with cardiovascular exercise and strength training. You’ll start on the fast track to weight loss and burning fat by using these methods.

Source(s): For more information about eating healthy, weight loss programs, and great weight loss tips, be sure to visit http://ultimatesummerweightloss.com/eating-six-sma...
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Genuine Weight Loss Pills - http://PureGarciniaGet.com/WL/?rUH
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Paleo Recepies eBook http://netint.info/CompletePaleoRecipeGuide
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Stick to 3 square meals,, It will set a pattern for your body to stick by. You're metabolism will be all over the place otherwise,, it will just confuse your body, and you wont lose much weight. I am actually on a diet now, in the past i used to just have a chocolate bar in replacement of a meal, etc.. and i lost a little bit of weight but put it back on when ever i binge snacked. Your body will get more ungry if you have small meals, which will make you crave more. At the moment i am eating 3 square meals a day, and i am losing weight quite well..Just cut out the Junk food, and leave fatty snacks till early on in the day, so you cvan burn off the enery throughout the day, or leave fatty foods to the weekend on a 'treat' day ,, well that's what i do and it sure works lol! Good luck in losing weight xxx

Love Lucyy

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Eating between 5 and 6 small meals a day is better than "3 square meals" a day. Don't get turned off when I say 5 or 6 meals, because, I know, it sounds like a lot. Eat your three main meals - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But in between those meals, have a protein shake (they count towards a meal).

The reason smaller meals are better is because when you eat 3 big meals throughout the day, you are taking in way too much energy, or calories, in one sitting than your body knows what to do with. So what does your body do? It stores it. And before your body even gets a chance to use all the fuel you fed it, you are giving yourself another big meal. So the process repeats itself.

By eating 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day, you give your body the right amount of fuel it needs. So what should a smaller meal look like? Whatever you are having for a meal, the portions should be no larger than the size of your fists. Anything larger, and you are just overeating, and taking in too much energy. So instead of having a heaping pile of potatoes with your big chicken breast come dinner time, cut it down to the size of your fist.

Remember, there are no special diets that will make you change your body, nor is there a special pill. The only real way to lose weight and to change your body is through a lifestyle change. You are going to have to take the time to prepare our meals ahead of time, or remember to bring a protein shake with you to school or work. It takes dedication and commitment.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Eating several small meals throughout the day will boost your metabolism. That means your basal metabolic rate will increase.

This translates into more calories being burnt per day, even if you don't exercise.

If you are going to follow this method, make sure you get LOADS (At least 3L) of water per day to enhance your metabolic boost.

Weight loss by dieting however, can be a very lenghty process. You may not even see the results until 4 months have passed or so. Also, there's plenty of room for mistake with this method. You could end up eating more calories than you already do, in which case, it would be better to stick with the 3 square meals.

You have to make sure you document the amount of calories you are consuming, and the amount of calories that you're spending throughout the day. For healthy weight loss, you should consume 500 less than you spend. So if you are consuming 3000/day you should be spending 3500/day. If you go higher than that, you are at great risk of nutritional deficiency and you will be sure to see the signs (heavy fatigue, weak immune system, headaches, etc) soon enough.

Be smart and research.

Source(s): For all your exercises and nutritional needs: www.bodybuilding.com
  • 1 decade ago

Doctors will tell you to eat 6 or 7 small meals a day to get you metabolism up and it will help you lose weight and also not put on alot of weight.

• 1 decade ago

I have heard that 6 small meals is the best. What has worked for me I cut my calories and exercise for 1 hour at a time 3 days a week. Cut back 500 hundred calories for every pound wou want to lose. I wouldnt recommend cutting over 1000 calories. this should put you at a health weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week,

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is better to eat 5 small meals than 3 big ones.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I will try to keep it simple. Your metabolism is basically the rate at which your body burns calories to create energy. So the faster your metabolism, the faster you burn calories and the easier it is to lose unwanted weight. To boost your metabolism naturally you just need to eat the right foods.

You can sit down and literally eat a 1,000-calorie dinner and yet be absolutely starving just a few hours later and the reason is simple: Because your body didnt get what it needed in those 1,000 calories so it sends signals to your brain telling you to ingest more calories and thus, the late-night cravings. That means that the surest way to end those late-night cravings and keep your weight loss goals on track is to eat a more balanced, nutritious diet that actually gives your body what it needs.

It's VERY EASY to lose weight if you eat the right foods. Check out Dr. Charles Livingston's video here: http://www.sexyjese.com - it will blow your mind.

• PC
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Eating several small meals a day tends to boost metabolism. This can help lose weight, though it'll depend on what, and how much, you're eaing

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.