Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Do you know any really good books to read in college?

I'm looking for a fun books to read. Not for any class, but just to sit back and relax with. I don't really wanna read anything that will end up making me depressed so please, unless it unbelievably great, no sad books. I used to read those teen angst type books in high school and I always thought that those books were fun. So if you know of any books like those, but for college students it would be great. I've read a couple of books by Will Clarke and those were funny (not sure if they were intended for college level readers) .....but any help you guys could give me would be great!

Update:

ok...let me add that I like all genre's of books (which is kind of why I didn't list any genre at all....), the only thing I said is that I'm not really in the mood for reading a book that's depressing...I'm looking for a book that's intelligent but at the same time not going to make me feel like I'm reading a text book.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Imo, these are all great reads. Many are lesser-known.

"Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians," Brandon Sanderson; hilarious.

"Freakonomics," S. Levitt; very insightful, learning to earn.

'University of Destruction," David Wheaton; excellent, not depressive.

"The Great Divorce," C. S. Lewis; classic, brief.

"The Masters and Their Retreats," Mark Prophet; short, distinct sections; entertaining.

"They Call Me Coach," John Wooden; one of basketball's great coaches tells some of his life's story.

"Liberal Fascism," Jonah Goldberg; makes the point that totalitarianisms have more in common than people might like to believe.

"The Master of Lucid Dreams," Dr. Olga Kharitidi. Her true life adventures in Samarkand with an ancient dream-healing brotherhood.

"From Dawn to Decadence," Jacques Barzun; great, accessible history of the Western world, 1500 on.

"Hidden Camera," Zoran Zivkovic. Recent, award-winning light mystery.

"Hope Rising," Kim Meeder.

"Mindset," Dr. Carol Dweck.

"Autobiography of a Yogi," Yogananda.

"Mary Baker Eddy: Christian Healer," Yvonne von Fettweis.

"The Soul Genome," Paul Von Ward.

"Life before Life," Jim Tucker, M.D.

"When Invisible Children Sing," Dr. Chi Cheng Huang.

"The Overachievers," Alexandra Robbins.

"Babies Remember Birth," David Chamberlain, Ph.D.

"Light Is a Living Spirit," O. M. Aivanhov.

"In a Sunburned Country," Bill Bryson. Vacation in Australia, hilarious.

P. G. Wodehouse novels are in general by the nature of the author comforting and humorous.

• Zeke
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Dean Koontz is a good mainstream author. I'm not sure what genres you would enjoy, but for fantasy anything by Mercedes Lackey is a great read. James Herriot's series (about his experience as a veterinarian) has been a favourite of mine for many years.

Anything by Terry Pratchett is wonderful, full of humour and very captivating. Same goes for Douglas Adams' books.

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns are also great reads.

There are always classics, like Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, or Something Wicked This Way Comes.

I have no idea what's intended for college level readers though, I've been reading everything I could get my hands on (that wasn't romance) since grade school.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would recommend The Giver by Lois Lowry, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, The Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel, Random Passage by Bernice Morgan, The Ciderhouse Rules by John Irving, Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Alborn, I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb, A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you want a funny book then the greatest choice you can make is the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. There are 4 or 5 books in the series but if you can find the book, The more then complete hitchikers guide to the galaxy then it contains all of them.

Another fantastic book would be 1984 and Animal farm as well. Both absolutely fantastic books.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Read some science fiction or dystopian novels!

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke is classic.

1984 by George Orwell

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The best book I have read in a long time, and I probably average a book a week, was The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well it's hard to be real specific without knowing what sort of books you are into.They don't have sections in borders labeled Those Highschool Books that aren't sad for college kids.You don't mention genres at all. So no one can be real specific except for mention either a)books they like which they can't possibly know you will like or not or b)the generic greatest books list.

• 1 decade ago

Well, I was going to suggest Ayn Raynd, but your looking for something like the Babysitters Club. That's OK I understand.

Its Ok when I am bored at the library studying sometimes I still pick up something like that because I can read it really quick for a break.

I don't think they write like that for college students, but if its what you want go for it regardless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.