wullie010669 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

my dog died this week?

i'm heartbroken. he was an 11 year old black lab and i had him as a pup. some people say it's just a dog but it's like losing a family member to me. he was always by my side and i'm never going to see him again. please give me your experience of this as it may help. i left him on a drip at the vets and he slipped away before i got to see him again so i feel guilty for leaving him there.

Favorite Answer

Very sorry for your loss.. I know I was devasted when I had to send my GSD to Rainbow Bridge at 13 years old.. and even worse when my shepherd/malamute/wolf mix had to be sent to the Bridge at the ripe old age of 17 .. it's never easy .. You have your baby in your heart.. he will always be there and he's running free now at Rainbow Bridge waiting for you..

Our animals leave paw prints on our hearts.. we bury them deep within our hearts where we can go and visit them any time we want and for as long as we want, and when we do, they are no longer hurting..

Once again, I am very sorry for your loss..

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I had three dogs put to sleep. Only animal lovers can understand what it's like. Don't feel bad about him dying before you got to see him again. I work in Hospice, and it's quite common that people often die when their family leaves the room for a few minutes. They didn't want everyone witnessing their passing, which could well be the case here.

Edit: I know of a case where the dying was a senior in high school. Don't know what he had. He was a star athlete before he got sick. In his last minutes, he had all sorts of people at his house, in his room, not just immediate family. The Hospice nurse was there as well. The nurse could see the guy was hanging on because he wanted to be strong for his fans. The nurse told him he could go on. The guy struggled with breathing. The nurse decided that everyone should leave the room for 15 minutes. So everyone, including the nurse, left. He died in those 15 minutes. He wanted to die in peace.

i m so sorry for your loss!i know it is hard but dont say that you are guilty for leaving him there!think it from the possitve side that he os not going to feel pain if he died from a health problem!also start thinking all the times you pass with him and laugh!laugh will make you some good!

but just try to think as possitive as you can and you will see that in a few months or weeks you will think of him and you will remember him as a beautiful memory!

after some months if you feel his loss very hard and if you are able to it would be a good idea to adopt a new pup and name him with the name of your favourite friend that you loss!! GOOD LUCK! i hope i helped you and just know that any loss is hard but,we,the people that stay alive have to keep them in our memories!

I am so sorry for your loss. He was an important part of your family and will always be loved. Please do not feel guilty, you cannot help that you weren't there to say bye to him. I am sure he knew you loved him as much as he loved you. Look at old photos and remember the good times you had, don't focus on the bad. You will get through this. God Bless.

• I do not actually know how you feel, but I am sorry. My dog is 1 and he is a Weimaraner X Poodle and I would be devastated is something happened to Vincent. I'm sorry for your loss. Best of luck.

I feel your pain. Last month I had to put down my dog of 13 years, Roscoe. He had a stroke and fell down the stairs. We think he broke his back, he couldnt move. I was so heart broken when it happened. I know how you feel, it is like losing a family member.

Dr. Dog

I AM SOO SORRY ABOUT YOUR DOG BUT HE KNEW THAT YOU LOVED HIM DONT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT LEAVING HIM YOU WERENT TO KNOW HE WAS GOING TO DIE WHEN YOU LEFT HIM HE WAS'NT JUST A DOG HE WAS YOUR BEST FRIEND AND ANY DOG LOVER KNOWS THAT PLEASE DONT FEEL GUILTY AND TRY TO REMEMBER THE GOOD AND FUNNY TIMES YOU SPENT WITH HIM AND PLZ DONT BE IN A HURRY TO GET ANOTHER DOG TOO SOON YOU NEED TO GRIEVE FOR YOUR FRIEND ALL THE BEST =]

Source(s): OWN EXEPERIENCE
  • ?

http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

My thoughts are with you-I've been there several times and you can only console yourself in knowing that you did what was best for him.

He knew how much you loved him.

Time will heal.