toughguy2 asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Dream fight. Willie Pep vs Eder Jofre. Who wins?

Featherweights 15 rounds

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

WOW, fantastic matchup. This is up there with Monzon vs. Hagler, or Gene Tunney vs. Billy Conn. My best answer is I dont know.

Tortuga - "Jofre easily" (Have you seen films of Pep in action?) "better if he was vs. Sandy Saddler" - You do realize ,as Blogbaba mentioned, "Sandy got Pep at the right time", That it was after the fact Pep had been in a plane crash and suffered a broken back, and from what I understand, one leg was slightly shorter than the other due to the injury. Not quite a prime Pep. And even

after the fact, still boxed circles around most. There is none in boxing history who would ever have it easy with Pep in his weight class.

I agree with Gannoway, and Blogbaba. On one hand we have the ultimate dancing master, a defensive wizard. Ali could really move and shuffle, but next to Pep he looked like a drunken robot. Mayweather is quick and very adept at avoiding punches, but next to Pep, he looked like drying cement. Thats how good Pep was. On the other hand Jofre is one of the best in history. Nat Fleischer (Who had seen them all) rated Eder on the level as Sugar Ray Robinson.That say's something. Jofre could brawl and beat the best. Jofre could box and beat the best. Eder could do it all. He was one of the most complete packages in a boxer.He had a very unique gift in being able to adapt to any situation, style and fighter. The question is could he have adapted to the also unique Pep? Speed and mobility - Pep. Power and ring generalship - Jofre.

15 round draw.

• 1 decade ago

Eder Jofre win by late round KO or unanimous decision. Willie Pep is more well known to us because he is American. Eder Jofre is Brazilian, he is less well known here in America. However, some say he is top ten p4p ever. They both are slick boxers but Eder is by far the harder puncher. Willie Pep record is a staggering 230-11-1, some fighters nowaday don't even have that many rounds under their belts. What make me think Eder Jofre can win this one is because he beat Jose Legra 130-8-2 who some say was a little Muhammad Ali, a great boxer just like Willie Pep. Eder was 37 years old an an underdog when he beat Legra. If he can beat a prime Jose Legra at 37 then when he was in his prime, he is capable of beating Pep.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Pep was too quick to be caught in his prime, and speed kills. Jofre was similar in a lot of ways to Saddler, they were both heavy punchers for little guys, but Saddler got Pep at the right time. A young Pep was like fighting smoke, the guy just wasn't there when your punch got there. If Eder landed, he could KO any one, but I doubt he would have landed enough on a prime Pep to do much more than lose a decision, like just about everyone else did against Pep.

The Wisp by decision.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Jofre - W 72 (KO's 50) TF 78 - W pct 92% - KO pct 64% - wins over V. Salvador, Legra and Espinosa - KO'ed by none - #85 ranked puncher - #19 ranked fighter Pep - W 230 (KO's 66) TF 242 - W pct 95% - KO pct 27% - wins over C. Wright{4}, P. DeMarco and Famechon - KO'ed by "Kid" Bassey and Saddler[2] - #6 ranked fighter I only have one concern if Pep was so great why was he so thoroughly dominated by Saddler. In this fight the "will o' wisp" (Pep), wins a lopsided 15 rd unanimous decision over Jofre,

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jofre easily. This question would have been better if he was vs. Sandy Saddler. Jofre knocks him out in six.

Jofre knocks out Pep in six. Sandy beats Jofre by decision.

• 1 decade ago

willie Pep

• 1 decade ago

Pep

• 1 decade ago

pep, but he has to work for it.

• 1 decade ago

WILLIE P

• 1 decade ago

pepe

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.