Tregosteevo asked in SportsAuto RacingNASCAR · 1 decade ago

How do you think NASCAR's testing ban will impact racing next year?

It was just announced at Homestead. Here's the link to the story on NASCAR.com. http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/official...

They have banned ALL testing at sanctioned tracks, including the ones used for Nationwide and truck races. It will save the owners some money but will Jack, Rick and others test at non NASCAR tracks anyway? What impact will this have on smaller teams with less data and especially on the newer drivers? Thank you.

Update:

Does NASCAR purposely leave loopholes in their policies? Is this just a diversionary tactic to make it LOOK like they are sensitive to the economic problems of some teams? It do not think it will have much of an impact.

Update 2:

Beth, that would be the only way to make it work but then a couple of teams would probably build underground, super secret tunnel tracks or something LOL It just blows my mind that NASCAR thinks these lame policies will solve any of the problems plaguing the owners or tighten the gap between the haves and the have nots. It's just more lip service from Brian and Mike in my opinion and most of you know that this will even help my favorite team. That doesn't mean I like it at all, it stinks!

17 Answers

Relevance
  • beth
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They simply need to ban all testing at all tracks, even team owned tracks.

Nascar has the power to do this. They cannot control what teams do on private property but the trump is they control who races. You test anywhere, you don't race.

• 1 decade ago

If they resurface anymore tracks, that's going to create some problems, then there is the issue of the tires. Even with testing at non Nascar tracks teams can work on their setups and tire wear but it won't help much at a sanctioned track where the surface is totally different. The smaller teams and the younger drivers are really going to be the ones who suffer the most. I agree, they do things like this on purpose. We all know they have no financial crunch whatsoever. Sounds like next year will be another record setting year for cautions.

• 1 decade ago

As said by many others, most will test at Non-NASCAR tracks which is a shame for the NASCAR sanctioned tracks as they won't have the opportunity to attract more fans to the tests. As usual, the richer teams can afford to send teams to a number of non sanctioned tracks and work with 7 post rigs, but remember, all the teams have now had a chance to work with the new car at all the tracks this season, so they have some notes to go on and many of the smaller teams have affiliations with the larger teams and their test data. We may see more disparity next year, but with the economic changes, I think we would see that anyway as everyone will have to adjust to less funding in the sport.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nice idea but it wont work. The US is full of hundreds of tracks. Somewhere or another there is another track with similar features to the tracks NASCAR has said no testing allowed. It could drive costs even higher because teams may have to go to several tracks to get test data for each track they are attempting to copy.

Remember when NASCAR limited testing by only giving teams so many Goodyear tires? Rich teams just tested with Hoosier or Firestone tires.

NASCAR doesn't own or control the teams. Teams are separate companies who can do whatever they want outside of NASCAR controlled places. If for whatever reason they wanted to build a FWD, 2 stroke 4 cylinder car and do donuts in reverse on the shop lawn they could. If they thought they could get useful information that would benefit their NASCAR program out of it they would and NASCAR could do nothing about it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are loopholes already found, teams will test on non-Nascar tracks like Rockingham and Andy Petree brought it up that some owners will build their own tracks. So much for saving money. I think it will only make the competition worse when only top tier teams can afford to test on their own personal tracks for travel out of the way to get to non-Nascar tracks.

• 1 decade ago

Are people aware PPIR (Pikes Peak International Ravceway-Fountian, CO) is up and running again ? A beautiful one mile concrete oval. They held hot laps on Nov. 2 for sprints, modifieds and late models. They are going to begin racing end of March '09. So, NASCAR will have this one available for testing as well as the Kentucky track. So, no this lame ban same as many other hootenanny ideas Brian France has thrown into it won't slow testing down.

• 4 years ago

Same as 07: 1) Jeff Gordon 2) Carl Edwards 3) Bobby Labonte 4) Mark Martin 5) Junior

• Jay
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Nothing has changed and the teams won't save a dime. They already test all the time at tracks that don't host events. Now they will just do more of that. Rockingham will see many more cars using their facility. There is a reason that most teams have a dedicated crew that do nothing but go testing.

• 1 decade ago

Teams will still test. They will test at the local short tracks and road courses around the U.S. Many teams will go to Rockingham and Little Rock which is a track built inside Rockingham Speedway. Teams will spend more time in the windtunnel, 7 post shakers as well as going out to other tracks to gain data.

• Tina
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

They already did this last year and it was a failure. Teams that have seven-post shakers will have a testing advantage again.

1) Teams will test on non-NASCAR tracks

2) Teams with money will test on seven-post shakers again

3) Teams with no seven-post shaker will always be behind.

Brian France is an idiot.There is an old saying that "You don't know where you are going if you don't know where you've been". NASCAR has already been there and it didn't work. Now they are going back there and it's going to be the same problems. The teams that dominated this year will dominate again next year. Small teams will continue to suffer.

NASCAR may have just lost me as a viewer. I get tired of seeing people make the same mistakes over and over again. That is ridiculous and NASCAR is a bunch of idiots for entertaining the idea. It's clear they are just grasping for straws for solutions.

This decision just proves NASCAR is once again trying to keep the advantage in the hands of teams with more resources. It doesn't make sense to not test.

---------

Notice that the people for it in that article are people who have been running good this year (already perfected set-ups) and also people who's teams have seven-post shakers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.