promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

what is the meaning of sci-fi?

I'm in a class room :P

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As others have given you a dictionary meaning here is my view of the meaning behind sci-fi (which is how I read your question).

Science Fiction answers a need in the human psych. It allows people to dream about the future in a fun, yet practical way. While writers in this field have been given a bad rap since the beginning (just like comic writers) they have managed to inspire people into creating something new (a survey a few years back showed that 90% of NASA read Sci-Fi as children.) Science Fiction has also "allowed" the general public to be more accepting of new innovations. For example when cell phones were a new invention a lot of jokes about Captain Kirk were running around.

A lot of people have written on this subject. You will do well to read up on it.

Source(s): The Dreams Our Stuff Is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World by Thomas M. Disch,
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Sci Fi Meaning

• 4 years ago

Sci Fi Definition

• 1 decade ago

it is a short for science fiction which is a genre of fiction that usually involves predictions on the future based on the current technology. For example: star wars is a sci-fi film.

Source(s): wikipedia
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • CrysV
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Science fiction.

• 1 decade ago

Science Fiction, not to be confused with fantasy :) Science fiction has some "scietific" element in it, such as space, or time travel, or something else like that. Fantasy is a magical element like the Harry Potter books.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

RE:

what is the meaning of sci-fi?

I'm in a class room :P

• 1 decade ago

science fiction

• 1 decade ago

science fiction

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

science fiction

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.