why are dogs harram in islam?

i have never been given convincing enough answers so far...pls can somebody with Islamic knowledge explain this

• khany
    Favorite Answer

peace teddyoc13,

dogs are not "haram" in islam. eating dog meat is strictly forbidden.

although dogs are often vilified in many islamic cultures most of this hostility towards dogs has no basis in islam. the qur'anic narrative of the dwellers of cave casts their dog in a positive light. there are several traditions that note that dogs roamed the streets of medina, that many companions of the prophet (peace be upon him) owned puppies, a tradition that shows that the prophet prayed while a dog strolled near by, and even traditions that note that dogs strayed in to the prophet's mosque in medina.

the majority of muslim scholars (sunni and shi'i) consider dogs (or at least their saliva) "ritually" unclean. this conclusion is "inferred" from a tradition of the prophet (peace be upon him) which states that if a dog licks a container then the container needs to be washed seven times (five times, three times and once in other variations of the tradition). another tradition states that angels do not descend in a house where a dog is kept. according to these scholars dogs may only be kept for protection as guard dogs, for sheep herding, etc. but not as pets.

however, maliki scholars (the maliki school of jurisprudence is one of the four schools of sunni islam prevalent in north africa) maintain that dogs are not impure. they hold this opinion based on the juristic rule that all things are considered pure unless explicitly stated otherwise. they do not consider the the hadiths quoted above sufficiently authentic to overrule this general principle. furthermore, the washing of container they argue is not due to some "evil" associated with dogs but rather it is a means of preventing disease.

you may wish to refer to the following article for more information:

http://www.scholarofthehouse.org/dinistrandna.html

hope that helps

Apparently there are cloudy definitions of the worth of a dog, though it seems universally accepted in Islam that a dog's saliva is unclean.

Here's the best info I found, which goes no further than to say the hadiths say so:

http://www.forpeoplewhothink.org/Answers/Dogs_in_I...

Muslims can touch a dog whenever the dog is dry and oesnt need to cleanse ourselves. But if the dog is wet or the dog lick someone, he need to clean the affected part 7 times with clean water( once with dirt )

Salam im a muslim girl twenty one now and had dogs allll my life. I dont believe dogs to be haram I only believe them to be nejis unclean. Ive had dogs all my life I believe I am a good muslim and I love dogs. I jave a dog she nine now and I keep her as an indoor dog shes a very clean dog gets bathed when needed no fleas or any health problems. I care about her very much she is like a child to me. Im an animal lover and I dont belive god will punish you for caring for his creations. I think its actualy a good thing to care for a dog because if you neglect it that is haram. I believe owning a dog amd keeping it indoors and caring for a dog is one of the best things a muslim can do because dogs can not speak they can not tell us what they need and that doeant go for only dogs but for all of allahs creations. Idk thats just what I believe I hope I helped.

• RoVale

Years ago, I used to have a Muslim co-worker who was very open about his objection to dogs. He used to say that because of how he was raised, he could not stand having a dog in his house. He said it started with Mohammed, who viewed them as being unclean. Dogs are by nature scavengers. They'll eat just about anything that's remotely edible, including dead animals. In those days, a scavenger was seen as being capable of carrying diseases and spreading them to people.

• MoRmEx

In my Opinion, Dogs in Islam are not haram if you have them for protection or hunting or companionship, but what's haram is when you have a dog and you treat it better than your fellow human and when you die you leave all your fortune to IT, that is simply haram by all standars.

Dogs aren't haraam in Islam. But we can't let them live in our houses, because they are considered najis (unclean). I know lots of Muslims who own dogs, there's nothing haraam about it.

• You're allowed to have them outside your house, as a guard dog or sheep dog. But they're not allowed in the house, because their saliva is not clean.

Actually they aren't prohibited in Islam. Read this article: http://www.quran-islam.org/articles/dogs_%28P1159%...

It is traditional among Muslims all over the world to regard the dog as a dirty animal that when touched would void the wudu (ablution) and infect the one who touched it with "nagasah" (dirty impurity)!

Sadly, this concept comes from fabricated hadith which claims that the Prophet ordered the killing of dogs and gave numerous hadith that prohibit the keeping of dogs except for hunting and guarding, due to their dirty status!

However, by studying the Quran we find no such truth. No where in the Quran are dogs prohibited, nor is there any mention of any contaminating effect of these lovely animals who are man's best friend. Consequently, we must dismiss all these hadith that fabricate lies against the Prophet.

1- God tells us in the Quran about the story of the dwellers of the Cave (Surah 18). In verse 13 God tells us that they were good believers and that God guided them. In verse 18 God tells us that they had their dog with them.

Now if dogs are prohibited and dirty, would God speak of those dwellers of the Cave (who had a dog) as good believers?

2- In 5:4 God tells us that it is okay to eat what the trained dogs catch (dogs are used in hunting). Now if the dog is an animal which causes contamination by mere touch, would God tell us it is perfectly okay to eat what the dog catches with his mouth (let alone just touch the dog)?

3- The Quran contains a very important rule for all believers, and the rule is:

Nothing is haram (unlawful) unless it is prohibited by God Himself, and since God describes the Quran as complete, perfect and fully detailed, thus all the prohibitions decreed by God are found in the Quran. The following Quranic verses confirm this truth:

“Say, "Who prohibited the nice things God has created for His creatures, and the good provisions?" Say, "Such provisions are to be enjoyed in this life by those who believe. Moreover, the good provisions will be exclusively theirs on the Day of Resurrection." We thus explain the revelations for people who know.” 7:32

“Shall I seek other than God as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed?” 6:114

“You shall not utter lies with your own tongues stating: "This is halal (lawful), and this is haram (unlawful)," to fabricate lies and attribute them to God. Surely, those who fabricate lies and attribute them to God will never succeed.” 16:116

There is not one verse in the Quran where God says that dogs are dirty or that they are prohibited to keep.

4- Is it logical that God would create an animal to be man's best friend and serve him in many ways, and then prohibit such an animal?

5- If this is what the Quran has to tell us about the issue of dogs, then where does all the prohibition come from? Where do the claims that dogs are dirty animals which if touched would void our ablution and render us impure come from? As most other corruptions which have crept into Islam, the source is always the fabricated hadith which are falsely attributed to prophet Muhammad!

Hadith tell us that the Prophet prohibited the keeping of dogs as pets. Other hadith tell us that angels won't enter a room where there is a dog. Other hadith tell us that if we touch a dog our ablution is void and we become impure, and that we have to wash seven times to clean this impurity, the final time in dust. That seems inconsistent with the Quran saying you may eat what they catch for you! Some other hadith go even beyond that to say that we must kill all black dogs!

The following are some examples:

Malik's Muwatta, Book 54, Number 54.5.13:

"Malik related from Nafi from Abdullah Ibn Umar that the Messenger of God ordered all dogs (other than sheepdogs or hunting dogs) to be killed".

Ibn Hanbal's collection: The Messenger of God said:

"You shall kill all black dogs, because they are devils."

The question is: Did the Prophet really issue these prohibitions? In addition, did the Prophet have the authority to issue these prohibitions?

The answer is given in the Quran:

"O you prophet, why do you prohibit what God has made lawful in order to please your wives? God is Forgiver Merciful" 66:1

Obviously God did not include the words in 66:1 in the Quran to belittle the Prophet in our eyes, but these words are placed in the Quran in order to confirm to all believers across all time that the Messenger of God does not have the authority to prohibit anything which is not prohibited by God. God is the only Law Maker (6:114) and the only duty of the messenger is to deliver God's message (5:92).

The outcome of all the above is that we must discard all the lies attributed to the prophet regarding prohibiting dogs and be focused on the Quran as the only source of guidance and religious law.

I'm a Muslim, I have a dog in my backyard. I don't let him near my clothes, cause his breathe and Sylvia are not pure.