Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Can a police officer stop me?

If i am walking on the sidewalk to and from my friends house at 1-5AM? We live about 6 blocks away from each other and i might be a little drunk. Im 14 and he's having a party but my mom wont let me have a sleepover because of my grades so im gonna have sneak out. Im just wondering if he can stop me just because im walking that late? If he did stop me and i said im fine would he have to take me home? Could i refuse a ride/answering his questions? By the way dont drill me on drinking i dont care.

i have been stopped before outside of my house around 3am and i said i was going inside my house and i asked if there was a curfew and he said no and ive been told that i dont look under 18 especially at night from a distance

Favorite Answer

Has happened to me a lot of times. Yes, a cop can stop anybody to just see whatsup, starting a conversation is not illegal kid. It's what you say in that conversation that might get you busted. Just say you are going straight home. That you are coming from a near by relatives home and make sure you give him eye contact and no attitude. Because you ARE breaking curfew (every underage kid has curfew) but usually a cop would let this slide. But he can take you in if he wants, also if your drunk, thats drunk in public and underage consumption, which are both misdemeanor's. So yeah, you should probably try your best not to get caught.

• Zach

You more than likely look under the age of 18. Therefore, you have a curfew that you must follow. If a police officer sees you walking out in the middle of the night, they have enough probable cause to stop you.

If you refuse to identify yourself, the officer can take you to jail if he feels you are over 18, or take you to a juvenile detention center until you speak. You also can get a minor in possession/consumption charge and be placed on probation through your juvenile office.

Source(s): I am a juvenile officer

You better believe the cops can stop you AND insist you get in the car. In fact, if the cops see you, this will happen. There's no way on earth that a cop is going to leave a 14 year old wandering around alone in the middle of the night.

Ever heard of CURFEW? He can stop you and take you to jail! If he stops you and doesnt take you to jail but calls your parents what would be worse. 14 and drunk come on you are on the road to failure dude. Your parents are right stay home. Dude look in the mirror and think where you want to be five years from now. Dont look in the same mirror and forget how what you do now could affect you forever.

You'll care when you end up in juvie. Yes, a cop can approach anyone and initiate conversation, especially at that time of night/morning, and especially with a 14 year old kid. Trust me, if you've been drinking, it may be a awhile before you get home.

• yaple

A police officer stopped a motorist who became into rushing down significant highway. “yet officer,” the guy began, “i'm able to describe.” “basically be quiet,” snapped the officer. “I’m going to aid you cool your heels in detention center till the supervisor gets back.” “yet, officer, I basically wanted to assert,” “and that i suggested to maintain quiet! You’re going to detention center!” some hours later the officer regarded in on his prisoner and suggested, “fortunate for you that the supervisor’s at his daughter’s wedding ceremony… He’ll be in a solid temper whilst he gets back.” “Don’t assume it,” replied the guy interior the cellular. “I’m the groom.” Moments later the supervisor of police arrived. He asked his destiny son in regulation why he became into rushing. To that the guy replied that he became into working previous because of his very own wedding ceremony because of the fact he over slept. The bachelorparty from the night in the past became into very wild. the supervisor walked away without saying something. Then his fiance walked up the the cellular and slapped him. the moral of the story is that I hate those that think of they're above the regulation basically because of the fact they're the son of a major or baby-kisser.

• Bandit

After curfew, you can be arrested and turned over to the juvie jail, held until your parents can get you. If you start a pattern of this, you can be put in a facility and held there until you are 18.

When the cop pulls up scream "back off Pig" with your liquor laden breath. You will get to hear first hand your miranda rights, you will not be "asked" to do anything you will be told once and then physicaly compelled to comply. You "Don't care" cool nethier does the cop that will be haulin your butt to juvenille holding where you could be charged with public intoxication and judging by your attitude , resisting arrest assault on a PO and probably attemmpting to flee. They build Juvie detention cetners for a reason.

So stop listening to your parents stop obeying their rules be your person go for it.

They can visit you every Tueday and Sunday

Source(s): 32 years in policing

Let's see. You're 14 and drinking, you are out past curfew, and are acting like an idiot by not wanting to answer any questions. Have fun in juvie, kid.

• SusiQ

All I have to say is....

Grow up.

You are still a kid, you have no idea what you are doing to yourself.

And honestly, I really hope cops see you walking to your friends house because you obviously need a wake up call.