What would you think of Johnny Depp playing Freddy Kruger in the remake of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET?

Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors, possibly my favorite. I recently read that they were remaking A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and got to thinking of who could replace Robert Englund, and Johnny Depp came to me. I thought through it and think it could make total sense. I think he's played roles that show that... show more Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors, possibly my favorite. I recently read that they were remaking A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and got to thinking of who could replace Robert Englund, and Johnny Depp came to me. I thought through it and think it could make total sense. I think he's played roles that show that he has the criteria to play the character. I know there are rumors about Billy Bob Thorton, but let's just leave those at what they are right now, rumors.

A. Edward Scissorhands having scissors for hands and blades on your hand are similar.
B. Seeing Depp in SECRET WINDOW shows that he can play mentally disturbed, crazy, and scary. Namely his psychotic breakdown at the end of the move where he killed his ex-wife and her boyfriend.
C. Freddy later in the series got into using dark humor. We've seen Johnny Depp play a character that spitfires jokes and that is Jack Sparrow. Sure they would be darker but he could pull them off. He had some darker jokes in SWEENEY TODD like, "I'll come again when you have judge on the menu."
D. Depp has been in horror movies before. SLEEPY HOLLOW, SWEENEY TODD, and SECRET WINDOW, so he's kind of been in the genre.
E. He can play any role and do it well.

The two biggest arguments I see against him are these. Many people would notice that he was in the original version as one of Freddy's victims. Yes that is true but I don't see that as a reason why he couldn't take this role on. It would be kind of like how Michael Caine was in the original version of SLEUTH as the young guy but was then in the remake as the old guy. The second big argument is that I've heard people say that he is an actor people think about too much to get roles. Quite frankly I don't care, especially when an actor is right for a role. So tell me, what are your views on this? And if not him, then who do you think it should be?