Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

the GOP needs to move towards Moderate Republicans.?

Tim Pawlenty the GOV of Minnesota. is a Moderate Republican.

Moderates within the GOP tend to be, to varying degrees, fiscally conservative and socially liberal. While they often share the economic views of other Republicans - e.g., balanced budgets, lower taxes, free trade, deregulation, welfare reform - moderate Republicans differ in that they may be for some gay rights, abortion rights, gun control, environmental regulation, federal funding of education, fewer restrictions on legal immigration and illegal immigration, abolition of the death penalty, civil rights laws, legalization of drugs, stem cell research, anti-war policies, or any of the above. Deficit spending is a highly contentious issue, within this faction as well as outside of it. Some moderate Republicans criticize what they see as the Bush administration's military extravagance in foreign policy, or criticize its tax cuts. Others may support deficit spending, but feel it ought to be more directed towards social projects. Concerning foreign policy, moderates may be less interventionist than neoconservatives, or place greater value on multilateral institutions. See Republican In Name Only. Also see compassionate conservative. Moderate Republicans have seen their influence in the Republican party diminish significantly since the 1990s. Once commonplace throughout the country, today moderate Republicans tend to be found in elected office primarily in the Northeast and Democratic-leaning areas of the West.

Moderate Republicans believe in community, compassion, pragmatism, common sense, political-fellowship, and, most importantly -- intellectual honesty. This passion is pursued within the broad framework of enlightened Lincolnian principles. Moderate Republicans stand in a crowded room, with the burning spirit of Lincoln in their hearts -- truth, fairness, justice, and limited-compassionate government -- when all others sit during difficult times. Moderates are loyal to serving the greater good -- not an entrenched party leadership. Government, whether limited or expansive, must serve everyone.

Pawlenty: "I'd Stand With President Bush if His Approval Rating Was 2 Percent." The Star Tribune noted in October 2005, "Pawlenty waved off any concerns about Bush, Hatch or other DFLers on Wednesday. 'I'd stand with President Bush if his approval rating was 2 percent,' Pawlenty said. 'I won't abandon my leader just because times are tough.'" [Star Tribune, 10/20/05]

i dont like the religious far right leave god out of washington DC.

Favorite Answer

McCain is a moderate almost liberal republican...it didn't seem to work nationally. Maybe its time the GOP went back to grass roots conservatism. Or maybe it will loose its numbers to a more conservative independent party, and it can become the democrat part of the 50's.

As for what you said regarding the religious right in the party. I totally agree that religious "values" have alienated a large group of true political conservatives from the GOP. I am a very right wing conservative when it comes to how I believe the government should be ran economically and socially. But I do not agree with letting your religious ideologies dictate your political ideologies. A true political conservative would tell the government to butt out of marriage all together. A true political conservative would tell the government it has no right getting involved in the privacy of any individual. A true political conservative would eliminate income taxes an scale down the federal government to its rightful duties (which does not include government involvement in health care, retirement, charity, bailouts for american companies, etc...). The GOP lost site of these concepts, they listen to the liberal media too much, and follow too closely to their religious leaders. The GOP needs to get back to its original form, the rest will follow.

Stop telling us conservatives how we should lean. Did we make you lean any direction the last 8 years, no we took our lumps. Now you mods and Dems have the chance to either mess it up or do it right we will see.

Your last statement is silly wasn't it a democrat that compared Obama to Jesus and Palin to Pilot. Also when government tries to force the change of traditional marriage in Gods eyes isnt that what they are doing exactly. Think about it! L 8:22 Let not a man lay with a man like he does a woman. I agree with you keep God out of Washington. Repubs have leaned to far to the left that is what is wrong with our country at his moment. We will see what happens in the next 4 years. Elections have consequences don't forget that.

If you would like to discuss this further I welcome it.

• Witchy

I understand your point but there already exists a political party that is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. It is the Libertarian party.

Here's their platform:

http://www.lp.org/platform

Wouldn't it make more sense for those who would like these views to join a party that better suits their beliefs rather than to change their current party to suit them?

I am a Republican but I agree with much of the Libertarians. Before I would change the Republican party, I would leave and join the Libertarians and let the Republican party be the way it wants to be.

• Sasha

McCain is a Rhino. Thinks he is a Rep. Palin is a true Conservative. Steels, Jindal, and Keyes are conservatives. Pawlenty? Not to sure I like him. Newt is great. Chafee is great. They need to move more to the middle. Start acting like the Republican's that use to be. First they need to clean house. Get Rhinos in position where they can be seen. Not heard. Hucklebee Not sure what he is. Thompson, Romney great ones.

• Dude

Does the Democratic party need to move more moderate? If so, Obama should have never been elected. He was rated the most liberal member of the Senate based on voting record. Becoming more moderate means compromising principles. Sorry, can't do it. Then you stand for nothing.

no longer unavoidably, the social gathering has been somewhat reasonable interior the final 10-15 years. regardless of what people say approximately President Bush. The social gathering needs to come again to fundamentals, be fiscally responsible and not alienate the social conservatives.

Agreed. They'll not come across a more moderate Republican than McCain. I guess Pawlenty's speech was an admonition to those who did not support him.

McCain is moderate

I liked mccian he was a moderate and palin was way to the right and thats what hurt her.