Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Can someone of Christian faith explain this phrase to me?

for the record, I'm a religious tolerant Atheist.

This is about the phrase:

"God is the creative force of existence, god is present in everything. All is god and god is all." -- Q&A user named Meera Patel

So, God is present in everything. But doesn't the first clause say he is what created existence in the first place? Logically thats saying he created himself.

Also with the second phrase, God is all, all is God, Wouldn't that eliminate the idea of God in the first place? How can there be someone/something unique and apart from us, if He/it is in EVERYTHING?

If that was the case, then shouldn't it should be said that our God is

whatever Doesn't have God in it?

What do you think about this?

P.S. don't comment unless you have a opinion about this, in other words don't just bash religon, because thats not the question.

Everyone who said something along the lines of "wrong religon" or "thats not Christian", your right, I just spent some time surfing "Biblegateway", and thats not in the bible.

To everyone who said that its confusing, or its Gibbish... no its not. And I take my time to understand everything YOU say, so please do me the favor of trying to understand. All i'm doing is analizing a quote.

Favorite Answer

If I've learned nothing else over the past dozen or so years that I really started reading the Bible in earnest, it's that logic and religion are 100% incompatible. And in your very question, you say that logically that statement says that God created Himself. And that is EXACTLY what it logically says - if you take that statement at face value, and consider nothing else.

I'm not sure that that statement is particularly Christian, because quite frankly I've never heard that taught in any church. I think that you've pretty much answered your own question by the person to whom you attribute that quote.

As a general rule: Y/A users do not speak for the "official" Church - or anything else. All you're ever going to get on Y/A are a bunch of individual interpretations - at least in the R&S section, which, quite frankly, is why I answer mostly R&S questions. Occasionally, someone may get on here claiming to be someone of authority, and he may indeed be a pastor by trade, but inevitably he will be someone low down on the ladder who also merely gives you his own personal interpretation.

Bottom line: If you ever have a "logical" problem with something, don't ask about it in the R&S section, because you will never get a logical answer from a religious person.

As for the phrase itself: It's about as logical as the Big Bang theory - the creation of something from nothing. LOGICALLY, there are only two choices: Either God existed from the beginning, or he was created. If he existed from the beginning, then it was he who created everything else - either directly or indirectly (one of his creations creating other things, etc.).

If however God were himself created, obviously something else must have created him. But it is impossible that he created himself, so something must have existed prior to God's creation.

This naturally would go on and on, but still: SOMETHING must have existed from the very beginning - unless, of course, you DO believe in the logical impossibility of something coming from nothing.

Therefore, what it comes down to that it's either something from something, or something from nothing. I personally find it impossible to believe in the latter, which is why I LOGICALLY believe in God. And, since then it was God who (again: either directly or indirectly) created everything, then I can see a logical consistency to saying that God is in all.

Just like somewhere in you are your great-great-great-great ... grandparents - all the way back to the first humans, who themselves sprung from God's creation somehow.

Now, if you believe in something from nothing, well ...

Put in that way, the phrase is not scripturally sound. All is not God -- just as a greeting card I made is not me. To say God is present in everything might come close to what we call omnipresence. But neither is God all. God is not me. God is not the mountains. God is not the office building where I work. To illustrate, if God is me, then God is limited by my limitations. If God is the mountain, God is limited by the mountain's limitations, rendering him limited, and hence, not God.

This phrase is simply new-ageisms, and a flawed, feel-good, unexamined theology based on human wishes where anything goes.

You're confusing panentheism with pantheism.

Penentheism is the idea that the universe is an extension (or emanation) of God, but that God also transcends the universe. You're thinking of pantheism, or the idea that God is identical to the universe.

Panentheism is not a universal doctrine among Christians. It is most common among ancient Gnostics and Eastern Orthodox theologians.

That sounds much more like Hinduism than Christianity. You should probably address your question to Hindus. Christianity teaches the absolute separation of the Creator and His creation.

peace

Give us the scripture reference.There are many phrases that look christian that are not. Plus even the Christian scriptures can be taken out of context if read out the place it is written.

Is sound like chanting to me, but I do know that in the king James bible reads that God is the "Alpha and Omega". This means that he is the beginning and the ending.

This is a principle combining pantheism (God is all) and panentheism (God is in all). This concept is propagated by New-Ager Allen White, and is also held by "mystic Christianity."

The "God is all"/"God is in all" idea is not substantiated by Judeo/Christian scriptures.

• wendie

Why do Christians ought to describe to you what Jesus Christ has already defined? He mentioned needless to say that many fake Christs will upward thrust up. there is your answer - direct from Jesus Christ Himself. Jesus Christ replaced into properly conscious that thoughts would upward thrust up in an attempt to maintain adult men from the pristine and eternal gospel of God and reason confusion. i understand who the author of misunderstanding is. Do you? It makes no distinction in besides regardless of if those thoughts proceeded the incarnate God or accompanied Him. Dec 25h has no longer something to do with Jesus Christ and replaced into chosen by employing the Catholic Church completely self sufficient of Scripture. extremely you realize this. Are you waiting to handle the Catholic Church for what they have positioned forth as actuality as you have me? in case you experience Jesus Christ's fact can no longer stand on it extremely is very own and calls for some back up with further clarification from Christians, i'd maximum honestly be interested in listening to why. You look very almost involved and somewhat skeptical that Jesus Christ is suited in this remember as in all issues. thank you on your digital mail touching directly to this yet i'd take excitement in a proof from you on the concept that my ideals are "so noted as truths" as you mentioned and at odds someway with Biblical Scripture. What are those factors precisely please? i'm a 20 3 hundred and sixty 5 days blood bought and crucified lady owned outright by employing the sovereign God. you have assumed very much. I too assumed plenty from a query appearing to be published by employing a mocker of God. I ask you - why is your question no longer in basic terms worded this form yet here in any respect while the observe of God has addressed it and you profess Jesus as Lord? I see further and added as I re-study and re-study lower back your question - the will for clarification is falling on your shoulders. Will you be emailing all those that have used (and thoroughly enjoyed employing) your question as yet yet another danger to mock God - or am I the "secure" one?

What do I think about that?

Its bafflegab. Puffery.

Words meaning nothing.

i don't think its Christian we don't believe all is God.