Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWinter SportsSnow Skiing · 1 decade ago

What kind of socks do you recommend for skiing?

Do I buy special ski socks/tubes or will knee high socks suffice? I have been told thin socks are better.. but must they be special SKI socks?!

Favorite Answer

If you are buying new boots I suggest you wear the socks you normally wear skiing when you get the boots fitted.

Ski socks made especially for skiing are normally long. They usually come up to the knee and have extra cushioning on the shin and sometimes in the toe. I have several pair from different companies and most are about the same except for the blend of material.

Cotton socks should be avoided at all costs. A fitted wool-blend sock that has a defined toe and heel is ideal. Thinner socks should be worn if you feel your boot is too snug and you can't afford to get the boots re-fit. In this case, something like a nylon or wool-blend liner sock for hiking could be worn. If your boots are a bit loose, a single thickness trekking or hiking sock would work.

Cotton athletic socks and thick ragg wool socks are generally poor choices because they can slip and bunch up. This will cause discomfort at least and could lead to blisters, raw spots, poor circulation, numbness, or pain.

If you are using rental boots, I suggest you bring several pair of socks with you. Since you cannot custom fit rental boots, having a few socks to choose from may help you get a better fit.

• garza

Socks For Skiing

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): kind socks recommend skiing: https://biturl.im/IwZ18

Socks, socks, socks. I stick with thinner, "no show" ankle socks. My feet never get cold as long as my boots are room temp when I put them on. I find taller socks irritate my shins unless they are poly or nylon. Definitely stay away from thick cotton socks. You don't have to spend a lot on special ski socks and you certainly don't want socks thick enough that you'll lose circulation when you buckle your boots. Also I always put a clean, dry pair on before my boots go on. I hate doing laundry that's why I wear sandals in the winter, only one pair a day that way.

Its weird but I had a pair of christmas socks with santa clause on them that were awesome. Who cares if all my friends made fun of them, my feet never got cold.

Quite Simple..Ski Socks. Yes, they are designed for Skiing and usually are thicker in knitting around high contact areas, heel, shins, ect.

Good Luck and happy skiing!

BRAD

Killington Ski Instructor

PSIA level II

Go to Cabela's on the internet and order some silk socks as liners. Makes all the differance in the world. Then use a regular ski sock over them. Trim your toe nails first though because the are pretty delicate. .

Fleece is my underlayer. Some of my fleece is designed more like undergarments, but others have side pockets and draw-strings. Your tights are very similar to fleece underwear for an effective base layer. Cotton sweatpants and underlayer garments are less-advised if you are going to engage in heavy exersion, since cotton will absorb perspiration and hold it close to your skin rather than wick it away and evaporate it quickly. I suggest that you wear appropriate attire for school, then change into dry ski gear at the slopes.

I go skiing all the time . I would get thermal socks that are a bit tight so they dont slip in your booot while your skiing. you can get them at any skii shop or maybe ebay aor amazion

• Gloria

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axXtK

jeans, tights, leggins. layer as much as possible. i recommend tights under jeans with long socks that go over jeans and another pair of socks on top. (toe warmers as well...gets pretty cold out there)

I snowboard and use either Under Armour or Burton snowboard socks. They will work just fine for skiing.