Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Mormons, your own planet? Really?

Mormons, can you please tell me, is true that your religion teaches that we are all a kind of "god in training"? and that if a Mormon lives right and fulfills the requirements, that you will one day actually become a god? and have your own planet?

Surely NOT??

Is this really what you believe?

I have read the book "The God Makers"...and it states that you guys are told to never read it.

What do you think of this?

It is never a waste of time to read a book. It does not matter if you agree with it or not. It is ignorant to refuse to hear the other side.

Ok, so I read the link and I totally accept that the book, like any other is only someones point of view and may not be completely accurate...but, you DO believe you can be a god right??

Why is it that you guys are avoiding the question and paying out on the book? Do you believ you get to be god?and do you believe you get a planet of your own? I am not attacking anybody, I am just interested in the docterine.

Why is it that you guys are avoiding the question and paying out on the book? Do you believe you get to be god?and do you believe you get a planet of your own? I am not attacking anybody, I am just interested in the docterine.

And yes, if someone had gone to so much trouble to write a book about me, then I would certainly read it. I would want to know what was being said of me, true, false or otherwise. It seems there is disparity even amonmgst the mormons who have answered here. One of you sent a link which clearly says one can become a god. Others of you say it is not true. I guess this happens in all religions though.

Latter-day Saints believe each individual has the potential to become a god, whereas Hinduism teaches that the human soul (atman) can eventually merge

and unite with the universal Brahman.

-Copied and pasted directly from link provided by an answerer.

Favorite Answer

The teaching that God was once a man and that men can become Gods and as such will be a God to another world is a cornerstone of LDS theology. To claim otherwise is disingenuous.

Joseph Smith declared: "God Himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp.345-346). Another LDS leader coined the phrase: "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become" (The Gospel Through the Ages, Hunter, p.105-106). Brigham Young preached: "It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God has once been a finite being" (Deseret News, Nov. 16, 1859, p. 290).

The LDS manual Gospel Principles states: “The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: "When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the Gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. . . it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave". . .

This is the way our Heavenly Father became God. Joseph Smith taught: "It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God. . . . He was once a man like us; . . . God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did" (Gospel Principles, 1997, p. 305).

The goal of every LDS man is to attain perfection and become a god of his own world: "…since mortal beings are the spirit children of Heavenly Parents, as pointed out in the last chapter, the ultimate possibility is for some of them to become exalted to Godhood." (The Gospel Through the Ages, Hunter, p.104.)

And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, ...Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; ...and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, ...and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever. Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them. Verily, verily, I say unto you, except ye abide my law ye cannot attain to this glory. For strait is the gate, and narrow the way that leadeth unto the exaltation and continuation of the lives, and few there be that find it, because ye receive me not in the world neither do ye know me. (Doctrine and Covenants 132:19-22)

“Intelligent beings are organized to become Gods, even the sons of God, to dwell in the presence of the Gods, and become associated with the highest intelligencies [sic] that dwell in eternity.” (Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 8, p. 160)

Apostle Orson Pratt expressed the view that there are already countless Gods and worlds: "If we should take a million of worlds like this and number their particles, we should find that there are more Gods than there are particles of matter in those worlds." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 345)

ALL EXALTED MEN BECOME GODS. To believe that Adam is a god should not be strange to any person who accepts the Bible…. Joseph Smith taught a plurality of gods, and that man by obeying the commandments of God and keeping the whole law will eventually reach the power and exaltation by which he also will become a god. (Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.1, p.97 - p.98).

When Apostle Dallin Oaks was interviewed in 2007, for the PBS special The Mormons, he candidly spoke of Joseph Smith's doctrine that God was not always God but progressed from mortality. “Before the close of his ministry, in Illinois, Joseph Smith put together the significance of what he had taught about the nature of God and the nature and destiny of man. He preached a great sermon not long before he was murdered that God was a glorified Man, glorified beyond our comprehension, (still incomprehensible in many ways), but a glorified, resurrected, physical Being, and it is the destiny of His children upon this earth, upon the conditions He has proscribed, to grow into that status themselves. That was a big idea, a challenging idea. It followed from the First Vision, and it was taught by Joseph Smith, and it is the explanation of many things that Mormons do — the whole theology of Mormonism. “

Read it - I am LDS - and it is not what I believe - it is what others say I believe. Not avoiding your question - there you go, I am LDS, I have read it, and it is sheer garbage.

As for my own planet - never heard that one at church - so I am gong to say nope, not doctrine.

We do believe that as children of God, that we have the potential to become like Him. We have the commandment in the Bible, which has been given you already.

But, since you totally accept the book, really, why are you asking - just to be trolling? Whatever we might respond won't make a difference, if you have made up your mind of what you think that we believe, right?

If I am mistaken and you want answers about our doctrine - check out a balance of sources - you've checked with the epitomy of anti-LDS sources - now, look at www.mormon.org - then you will have both "sides" and be able to make an educated opinion.

Source(s): JMH(LDS)O
    • You ******* liar piece of ****.

No. He will have his own wife in the next life IF they both remain worthy. He will NOT get 30 virgins, nor does it state in our doctrine that he would receive a planet. Although there have been opinions stated on that. It makes me wonder if you've been asking really ignorant or rude questions and he is tired of trying to explain to you so he is being sarcastic.

Do we believe we will become a god? No. There is no doctrine stating that.

Do we believe we get a planet of our own? No. Again, no doctrine.

Our doctrine states: We are children of God. We can become like Him. We can become exalted. Now, what all does that entail? I don't know. People take those statements and run with them. We can assume and speculate all day long... we believe we can become like God... so does that mean we will be "gods" and have our own planets? Maybe, maybe not. I personally don't care about it - I just want to be with my family forever.

The God Makers is written by a man who was a member, had multiple affairs, his wife divorced him and he didn't want to repent. He blames the church. So now of course he thinks he is going to "expose" all this crap about the church, and that's pretty much what it is - crap. You can take crap, spray perfume on it but it's still crap. That's all he did.

Is it important to see things from both sides? Maybe. In some ways, yes probably. BUT, it is MOST important to ask GOD what is true, not me or Ed Decker or anyone else. We are all going to be biased one way or another. I love the church and gospel and know it is true. Ed Decker hates the church and thinks it's false. So how do you know who to trust? God is the only one you can, if you truly want to know. If you just want some juicy controversial subjects to gossip about, then go with anti-mormon crap. And crap is what you'll get, in my opnion.

Source(s): Eternally LDS
    • You ******* liar piece of ****.

• CLRK

Though I've never read the entire book (The Godmakers), I've read bits and pieces here and there. From my perspective, as a Mormon, I found it more as a comedy than an analytical report. In Arizona there is actually an organization made up of several religions called The National Conference of Christians and Jews. They made a review of the movie, which was created based on the book. The committee that reviewed the film was made up of 3 Roman Catholics, 1 Methodist, 2 Presbyterians, 1 Disciples of Christ, 7 Jews, 1 Greek Orthodox, and 2 Mormons. Below is the website on which you can find their views on The Godmakers. Overall, they didn't like it. They say that it "relies heavily on appeals to fear, prejudice and other less worthy human emotions" and that it "appears to us to be a basically unfair and untruthful presentation of what Mormons really believe and practice."

http://www.lightplanet.com/response/nccj.htm

I understand you're trying to get two sides to a story, but The Godmakers is neither the one nor the other. It's just way out there.

When it comes to our doctrine, you can go straight to the source, even online:

http://scriptures.lds.org/

Our written doctrine consists of The Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price, all of which are written by ancient prophets and modern prophets of our church. This is our actual doctrine, and I know that you won't find the crazy stuff in these sacred scriptures that you find in The Godmakers.

To answer your question, we believe that everyone on earth is a literal child of God. We believe that we were created spiritually before we were born on earth. We believe that, as children of God, we can learn and grow and progress to be like Him, like all children grow to be like their parents. We believe that we are imperfect and are therefor incapable of becoming like our Father in Heaven if it weren't for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Christ made it so that we can overcome sin and the obstacle of imperfection so that we, too, can become perfect one day. He commanded us, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" (Matthew 5:48). C.S. Lewis put it well when he said, "The command Be ye perfect [Matt. 5:48] is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were "gods" and he is going to make good His words. If we let Him - for we can prevent Him, if we choose - He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, a dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what he said." C.S. Lewis understood very well this concept based off of this and several other quotes, and all he had was the Bible.

In all of our scriptures, from the Old Testament to The Pearl of Great Price, you will find teachings and principles that tell us that we have the potential to be like God... to have a fullness of joy like God... to be perfect like God... to be immortal and have eternal life like God. Does that mean that we'll have our own planet like Him and be gods of our own planets? I've never been taught that in church, and you won't find that teaching in any one of our scriptures, but the scriptures don't deny it, either. In other words, Mormons in times past have speculated it, but it is not in our doctrine and is therefor not of our belief system.

Source(s): Our beliefs are also layed out plainly on this website, which was made and is endorsed by the LDS (Mormon) Church: http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/

Imagine, Blossom, if someone paid a company a million dollars to wirte a book ridiculing, defaming, accusing, and exposing Blossom. Would you read that book too?

These people take every Rose, and only see thorns. Their goal is to spread hate, not truth. No one is paying them for the truth - they are getting paid for the hatchet job.

Take a deeper look at the book, "The God Makers" in the following article, and you will find out just how far from the truth the Tanners are.

http://www.fairlds.org/The_God_Makers/

The answer to your question in in there too. It compares what the Tanners say we believe to what we really believe.

• Isolde

If the Bible said we are gods and could have a planet would you believe it? These are not exclusively Mormon teachings. It's just that people like the author of the 'Godmakers' sell books by giving "shocking revelations".

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

28 And I will give him the morning star.

• Kerry

Before I answer your question, let me kindly ask you one. What do you make of the Bible verse that states, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your father in Heaven is perfect? (See Matthew 5:48).

Do you think God would tell us to do something that we had no chance of ever doing? Of course not as that would be inconsistent with him. He wants us to grow and improve. He wants us to become like him.

With that Bible verse in mind, Mormons do believe that throughout the eternities of heaven that we will progress, we will learn, we will grow in knowledge, we will improve. We will not just sit around stagnant playing harp music all day.

God has told us to become perfect. And to be like him. And will we do so throughout the eternities (which by the way, is a long time is it not?)

But no matter how much progressing we will do, we will never replace God, as he is God. We might be able to approach him in goodness as we eternally progress, but we would certainly never replace him.

Listening to patently anti-Mormon materials and then assuming an understanding of Mormon beliefs is like going to a Satan worshiping convention and saying you now understand Christianity fully.

I applaud you for asking Mormons what Mormons believe and not merely taking an anti-Mormons word for it. I do not go into a Chevrolet dealer and ask them how good is a Ford.

So here is my answer. We do not beleive that we get to be God. There is only one God.

We do get to progress, improve, grow through the eternities. We get to try to "become perfect, even as our Father in heaven is perfect." We get to try and be Godlike, as he has commanded us to be.

Source(s): Lifelong Mormon

There are so many good books to read, why bother with trash? If man is to judge Angels, what does that make him? If I have everything God has, What does that make me? What am I lacking?

We believe that we can become like God. Does that mean we'll be gods ourselves and have our own planets like God does? maybe. That would be pretty neat. Does that make us respect and worship God any less? no.

Source(s): Mormon