amos asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 decade ago

I hate suv's not so much because they are guzzlers but.....?

I dont think its fair for people w/ the same type of drivers licences to drive vehicles that weigh so much more than other vehicles. its the physics of it, if a hummer hits a vw beetle, then the people in the beetle will be crushed and the hummer people will be fine. because of this many people keep buying bigger cars so they dont get crushed in an accident. i think there should be a narrow weight range for cars on the road and if you want/need a huge vehicle for any reason, there should be a special drivers license that is more difficult to get.

Favorite Answer

Actually, considering how much better built the VW probably is, I think I'd rather chance it in the bug. But there really isn't a very good way to draw a line between normal passenger vehicles and excessive off-road vehicles. We could put a weight limit on it, and say that anything over 4000 lbs requires a special license, or better yet, is to be used for commercial hauling only. But then, you'll only see companies push the envelope any way they can, creating the biggest monstrosity on 4 wheels that can possibly come in at under 4000 pounds. All we can really do is hope that people start thinking more responsibly about what they drive (we're doomed). Just be glad you don't live in the Ozarks. Here, everyone drives a truck or suv, which means I'm stuck behind these ridiculous things trying to crawl through endless hills and corners.

edit: And to the guy above, depending upon the year, alot of Beetles come in at under 2000 lbs, compared to around 6000 lbs (H2) to 7800 lbs (H1). So, unless you've got alot of friends in the 1500 lbs + range that you like to try and cart around in a VW, there's absolutely NO comparison in weight, handling or braking capabilities. The 2007 H2 SUT could careen to a stop from 60 mph in 163 feet. The 2003 VW Beetle could do that in around 120 feet. And I'm comparing a $60,000 SUV to a car that was built to be sold under $15,000. You want I should get some figures on reasonably sized cars in the H2's price bracket?

BOTTOM LINE: SUVs are a bad joke.

• Russ B

Well, if they needed different types of license all they had to do to get it is drive their hummer around, so that wouldn't change things that much. Besides, while they seem big, SUV's don't weigh ALOT more than cars. Average midsize sedan weights 3500 lbs while a bigger SUV weights around 4500. So your beetle with passengers in it and a full tank of gas will come close, but you don't have to have a special license to driver with passengers in your car, do you?

Edit: The guy below me, read what i said. I said MIDSIZE SEDAN, and SUV. Why do you people keep comparing everything to Beetle and H2 as if its all that people drive. And since you mentioned that Beetle which is one of the smaller cars on the road stops in around 120 ft, Audi Q7 which is an SUV stops in 125, and nissan maxima which is a sedan stops in 128. So maybe not all SUVs are a menace. But yeah, keep comparing Beetle to a H2 because that all that people drive.

Drivers of SUV's do that whether it is snowing or not. That is just my experience, but all the more I do not like it. The thing is many drivers of SUV's believe they are the kings of the road. They feel that just because they have a large massive vehicle they can get that close to you and intimidate you based on their size. Its not right, and it is a bad practice for driving. What drivers should do is back off, give space and don't be immature as it relates to driving. That is how accidents are caused especially in the snow. When you drive that way when there isn't wintry weather there is a risk for an accident, but in snow the accident risk doubles because you are battling the elements. Its a bad idea drive that way.

already you share the road with heavy trucks and comerccial vehicles . and it does require special licensing drive defensively and you whould be ok but you know there are cases where a small car can kill someone in a suv also. or even a semi. aka run them of the road or panic stop in front of a tanker he flips and burns. if hazordous. but i do feela your pain to a certain degree. i like the comfort of sitting up high and having a larger field of view from a large truck and the extra weight so if some honda punk gets in my way my 73 ford blows right through them

You don't think it's...fair? If you're so worried about it, don't drive a beetle, buy an Expedition and level the playing field. It's the chance you take when you drive a small car.

Traffic rules are often set by those who do not drive, so off-road vehicles are allowed onto our highway, as they do not appreciate the differences

Source(s): Ex Vehicle Mechanic/Electrician

I would say that the person should be required to take special testing for larger SUV's but no special license....

Source(s): 316

coudnt agree more