if my employer sched me 2 work 12 hrs on a holiday r they required 2 pay 12 hrs holiday pay or only 8 ?

i am a nurse at a non-union hospital. my schedule requires me to work 12 hrs. holiday pay is double time and a half. they only pay at that rate for an 8 hr shift, the remaining 4 hrs worked on a holiday are payed at regular base pay. is this legal? should i notify the fair labor board?

Favorite Answer

In the US, unless you have a union contract, your employer is not required to pay you holiday pay. There is no law in this country, stating what you must be paid on a holiday.

And double time and a half is more generous than what most companies now pay. Many companies don't even pay holiday pay anymore.

• Judy

It isn't a legal issue, at least if you are in the US - there is no federal or state law requiring the double time and a half for holiday pay. Other countries might be different.

If they have a policy of the double time and a half for holidays, read the policy to see what hours it applies to

There is no federal law on holiday pay.

I don't know what state you are in, so I can't help there. But most states do not have a law about it either.

So no, they don't HAVE to pay you that extra holiday pay.

The only time they are required to give you any extra pay is when you work over 40 hrs in the week. That is ALL.

In most states, employers are not even required to give you pay anything more than standard pay for 40 hours a week and the overtime pay for the remainder.

Holiday pays are just the incentive the employers use to entice people to work non-popular hours and days.

You should check with the authority if you have questions, but you might be dissapointed in what you find.

depending on the state.

but they should pay for

8 hr day less 1/2 lunch at double rate

4 hrs less 1/2 dinner which is double time and 1/2

if they are not doing that then something does not make sense.

Check your contract and contact the State DOL.

I think they should pay for all 12 hours, because it is a holiday and you are working that many hours. It's like saying they'll pay you overtime, but only for a certain amount of time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't holiday pay a courtesy and not a requirement?

i think foe the full 12hours

i think it is illegal depending on how they do it...