Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsOther - News & Events · 1 decade ago

Do you think they should reinstate the draft?

My mother thinks they should reinstate the draft. Her argument is that it would balance out the playing field, and the rich would have to send their kids over. I'm still on the fence about the draft. I served in the military myself and I hated it. I talked to my professor, and he loathed the idea as a father of two sons. What are your thoughts? Are you for or against there being another draft?

Favorite Answer

The rich and powerful will always find a way of getting out of the draft.

George Bush chickened out of the draft while Muhammad Ali couldn't and look how he was treated. He had to go all the way to the Supreme Court to get his boxing licence back while draft dodger Bush went on to become President and sent thousands of US servicemen to their deaths in Iraq. Funny old world isn't it?

• Akkita

Personally I believe the volunteer military enlistment works just fine.

Rich kids do enlist - Governor Palin's & VP elect Biden's sons are both going to Iraq.

I would much rather have persons that want to be in the military than forcing them - a military career is a calling just like a doctor or lawyer.

PS~~ I am the mother of an enlisted volunteer on his second tour in Iraq. So I am not just blowing smoke or making a rosy picture of the military- we live our son's choice every day.

Source(s): Mother of a US Army Ranger

Under Obama I expect a massive exodus from the volunteer armed forces, and a draft will have to imposed to protect national security.

It will be enormously unpopular.

I am against it. First of all, I think that it is violating people's rights. We are not at the point right now that we need more soldiers. Anyways, if they had the draft, it wouldn't affect me.

• debijs

~~Absolutely not! Since World War ll there has been no military threats against our country. We have a defense budget not an offense budget. Nobody should be forced into these wars of greed.~~