me asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 1 decade ago

Am I a soprano or an alto?I have characteristics of both!?

I'm 17.My high notes are bright and my low notes are dark and rich. My break or flip used to be around a f or g but now went up to a c(octave about middle c). My range is d (below middle c) to about an e (above high c). I feel just as comfortable singing songs in a low key than ones in a super high key. I have no idea what I am!!

I have just over a 4 octave range

or maybe it would be 3 octaves, but I sing four different d's and e's

Favorite Answer

This would mean you have just over a 3 octave range from a D3 to an E6. Because I'm assuming you mean that high C is a C6. If you mean your range is D3 to E6 then your range encompasses three female voice types: Contralto, Mezzo-Soprano and Soprano. Although I believe if a range goes as high as E6 you probably wouldn’t be classified as a Contralto. Many opera singers go into their careers starting as Sopranos and find out they are more comfortable in Mezzo Soprano roles or visa versa. My advice is to check with a good vocal coach and work on your voice. I don't know if voice type is something that can be clarified right off the get go. Or at least I believe with a range as wide as yours, I wouldn't want to classify myself right off the bat as you have potential for all three. As you mature and practice your voice should more naturally fall into a specific type and it will become more clear to you which type you prefer. I'm not an expert, but I am learning this myself at the moment. You obviously have Soprano range, but working within it comfortably on a daily basis is a different matter.

Your range is very wide and so you have a great starting point and lots of possibilities. It will develop and you will know which voice type you prefer to work within. The world is your oyster. Good Luck.

• You could easily be both. I am 15 and I have a range that's at least three octaves, everything from alto 2 to soprano 1. I call our type "sopralto". Welcome to the club!

You seem to be both, so I would say that you could call yourself a mezzo or soprano II. This is what I am, and we seem to have similar range.

mostly an alto.

the guy who said the thing about your natural speaking voice is soo wrong. i speak at a normal girl level but i am a super alto

Source(s): teachers and singing

your a Soprano 2. how many octives are in your range.. ?

Source(s): b/c i'm an Alto 1/Alto 2. and the Alto range can be from middle C to Minor C. and anything higher is Soprano 1 or 2 and lower is def. an Alto 2. your both actually. *sing in 4 choirs. singing for a while, actually. Voice lessons

Whichever your natural speaking voice most resembles.

your both....and if you haven't had any training to develop that skill then you are very lucky.....