Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Would this be a good pet?

I really wanted a Dwarf Hamster for my birthday but didn't get one. I'm thinking about just buying one myself. They look so playful and fun. But, are they good pets? I had a hamster once and it died about 3, wow 3?, years ago. Please help me with my decision.

:B -Chelsea!~ :)

Favorite Answer

yes, as long as you will take good care of it. most hamsters live to be 2-4 years old. dwarf hamsters are very playful. if you do get one, make sure it is not too young, or it wont be very friendly. clean out his cage once a week, and make sure always has plenty of water. when you first hold it, dont just snatch it. gently pick it up without harming it. but dont expect for it to be your best friend 3 seconds after you pick it up. also, you can give it carrots so it will know you aren't a preaditor. i hope you enjoy your new hamster when you get him/her!

I have always wanted a dwarf hamster too just like you because they were so cute and playful. But little did I know that rodents are NOT good pets. I had a friend who started out with just two mice, and they ended up multiplying to twenty four mice!!! It was insane, and so many died, and they even started eating eachother! Rodents multiply so easily and quickly and you will eventually end up giving it away. Also some of my friends had hamsters, and they always complaim about the noise it makes. Since they are nocturnal animals, they stay up all night on the exercise ball or just running and scratching around. Also, they are a mess and smell bad. The bedding you put in the cage gets all over the carpet. And the room the hamster is in, it always stinks. And its not like you can just give a hamster a bath. Also, i have known people that have gotten bitten so many times by hamsters. yes they look cute, but even i have gotten bit by one, and i have a scar to prove it. Trust me once you get it, you will be up for a battle. I hope this helped though :)

dwarf hamsters live about 2-3 years, and rarley 4 with VERY good care! im getting one for christmas, and i am so pumped!!! i cant wait! its so cute how they kinda wobble sideways when they walk!! i seriously think you should get one. but the cages, food, bedding, and other supplies all together costs about 40-50 dollars. NOT counting the dwarf hamster. (i suggest getting a chinese dwarf hamster, because they live longer than any other dwarf hamster) unless you already have a cage that you can use from your past hamster, go ahead and get one! they're pretty cheap!

Dwarfs are really cute and fun and you can usually have more than one (same-sex though) in the same cage! But they're generally not as tame as syrians. If you want calm and cuddly you should get a young hamster so you can start the cuddling young! Or get ur hammy from a petshop that hand raises them or atleast interacts with them....always ask to hold it before you buy it, if they refuse.....don't buy from there.

You've got to play with your dwarf hammy very often because without handling they can become less tame and possibly bitey! =(

If you don't wanna go through all that get a cute syrian!

good luck!

Ps Winter white dwarf hamters are really cute and interesting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phodopus_sungorus

WELL , DWARF HAMSTERS ARE NICE BUT THEY ARE KNOWN TO BITE. I LOVE HAMSTERS. THERE SO CUTE. I HAVE A LONG HAIRED HAMSTER AND A BEAR HAMSTER. THERE BOTH GREAT?! AND I AM SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR OTHER HAMMY. I THINK YOU SHOULD GET ANOTHER HAMSTER.

HOPE YOU GET ONE.

no, syrians are best. They are cuddly and friendly, and so sociable. mine has never bitten.

my dwarf hammy cant be held because he bites and he never comes out of his hut, only at night. whenever someone comes into the room, he scatters into his hut. appariantly all dwarfs are like that, and most often bite. if you want a hammy to snuggle up to, syrians are best, trust me .

Source(s): hammy experiance

Yeah I would just go for it. Hamsters are so cute. I think you should get it.

My sister had one and they are really mean, and it didn't like to be held. You should buy a teddy bear hamster. They are fluffy, cute, and loved to be held. Mine never bite me, it licked ^-^

i m getting one in thanksgiving.... bout 17 days!!!!! n i m sooo excited! and you should buy one yourself but if possible ask your parents to buy you it.....