Background Check, Have Misdemanors Will i get hired?

Ok well here is my situation. I got a class A misdemeanor on 9/29/08 for shoplifting. I also got a misdeamor in college for possesion of marijauna. that was in 1999, that is still there acording to probation officer, i paid fines and need to get a lawyer to see if it can be expunged according to him. I also have messed up credit from a reposetion on a car in 2006 and credit cards that defaulted. I am trying to get my **** together and really realized how bad i have messed things up. I have a degree and have worked in IT for 5 years. I just got laid off of my last job and really need this job. It seems like very very intensive according to the disclosure agreement. They told me during the interview that i was the strongest candidate technically and they just fired a guy cause he didnt know much. Should i come out and tell them before the check and ask if i should even bother? how should i handle this? I need help

well the disclosure file says “investigative consumer report"

which may include information about your character, general reputation,

personal characteristics, and/or mode of living, and which can involve personal interviews with sources such as your neighbors, friends, or

associates, including motor vehicle record (or “driving record”) checks, workers compensation records, credit bureau files, employment references,

personal references, drug screening, any educational and licensing institution or military branch and to receive any criminal record information

pertaining to you which may be in the files of any Federal, State or Local criminal justice agency in Georgia or any other State

Favorite Answer

nope- i'm pretty sure you only need to let them know if you were convicted of a felony....

Get a No Cost Background Check Scan at https://bitly.im/aO18R

Its a sensible way to start. The site allows you to do a no cost scan simply to find out if any sort of data is in existence. A smaller analysis is done without cost. To get a detailed report its a modest payment.

You may not realize how many good reasons there are to try and find out more about the people around you. After all, whether you're talking about new friends, employees, doctors, caretakers for elderly family members, or even significant others, you, as a citizen, have a right to know whether the people you surround yourself with are who they say they are. This goes double in any situation that involves your children, which not only includes teachers and babysitters, but also scout masters, little league coaches and others. Bottom line, if you want to find out more about someone, you should perform a background check.

• michr

if the background check is done any public records including misdemeanors can show up (even expunged records can show up although they should not be reported to the employer).

the service(company) that is providing the background check is covered by the Fair Credit Reporting Act that is why the employer must provide you with the disclaimer and why you must sign the release and provide certain information.

this report can include anything from the last 7 years or as long as the statues of limitation for the crime. the 1999 incident should not be reported all the others will.

this check will not prevent you from being hired............

what the employer will be looking for is what you did, what you learned from the experience, how you have changed and grown as a prospective employee. it is more important for them to see how you address these issues, if you take ownership for your mistakes or if you make excuses.

looking at your history it seems that you have failed to learn from your mistakes so it will be up to you to prove otherwise.

if the employer uses any investigative report (criminal or credit) to make a derogatory employment decision they must provide you a copy of the report and give you an opportunity to address it and have any errors corrected.

• Flyby

If they do a criminal background check they will likely pick up on the convictions. The old conviction may not hurt you as much as the recent one for shop lifting. It is usually best to be up front and honest with people. The shop lifting conviction may not show up on your record yet. I don't know how long it takes for something such as that to show up on a criminal background check. If they are doing an extensive background check they will probably find both convictions.