Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 decade ago

How long do you have to file an insurance claim?

I was in a car accident with a police car. The cop went thru a stop sign (no lights, etc no reason for him to blow thru the sign he just did) lied and said i was the one who did not stop. I got a ticket, etc. But the cop just filed the accident report. My car insurance called yesterday to say they were just contracted by their insurance company. I thought there was a time frame you had to file, it has been two months since the accident can they really file 2 months later?

I live in NY. I talked to my insurance agent the same day it happened and on their advice did not file a claim. My car is older and does not have collision on it. How can he file 2 months later and have it be legal

• sydkan
    Favorite Answer

Whenever you have an accident, regardless of fault, there is a provision that states you are to report the claim promptly. You received a citation, whether or not your beleive you were at fault, you should have let the insurance company know this.

The other driver has 2years in most states to file a claim for damage. After that the statute has run.

Also when dealing with a municipality, you may have only 30 days to put them on notice of a potential claim. Depends on the city and such.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS report a claim to your insurance company

Month after an incident is not too long to file a car insurance claim, you can file car insurance claim within the stipulated period as per your state laws. Your insurance company binds to settlement the claim provided your policy is in-force during the time of accident. When the insurance company takes up your claim, they would request you substantiate reason for filing a late claim. It is advisable to get your claim stored out as soon as possible, since your case has involvement of Third party also.

Most insurance policies have provisions that stipulate that a claim needs to be filed promptly. This gives the insurance company the ability to investigate the claim while the details are still fresh in the memories of the parties involved. Two months probably would not be a long enough time frame to violate the "conditions" portion of the policy.

Take out your policy and read the "conditions" section on filing time frame.

Source(s): Insurance business for 22 years

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I was in a car accident with a police car. The cop went thru a stop sign (no lights, etc no reason for him to blow thru the sign he just did) lied and said i was the one who did not stop. I got a ticket, etc. But the cop just filed the accident report. My car insurance called yesterday to say...

Source(s): long file insurance claim: https://shortly.im/W8tH7
  • Kenny

There is no time limit to file a collision claim as long as you have supporting evidence.

Source(s): Collision center manager