Question about crude birth rate...please help?

Here is a true/false question:

The larger the proportion of the population that is women in their childbearing years, the higher the crude birth rate tends to be.

I said false and some others said yes. Who is right and why?

If I am wrong, then why is this also said:

As there exist better, noncrude measures of births— known as fertility rates—that take account of the age distribution, relative group size, and mortality of potential mothers, the principal use of the birthrate is as a summary indicator of population growth.

So fertility rate takes into account the population of women and birth rate does not correct?

• Elmyr
    Favorite Answer

You are incorrect, sorry. Crude birth rate is natality, births per capita. The higher the percentage of the population that CAN give birth, the higher the percentage that will.

Edit: Fertility rate is the average number of children each woman has, crude birth rate is the number of children born per 1,000 TOTAL population annually, i.e. it includes women under child-bearing age and men.

I should just say yes, you are correct on fertility rate vs. crude birth rate.

anything i learned in college was rhat girls are naturally more plentiful. what keeps the male popultion about 21/2 % less than wome is war and russian vodka.