how do i do w^2/w^6 please show answer...im hopelessly confused?

and this one too its real tough....xy^8 z^2/x^2 y^9 z.....and a^10 b^2/ a^4 b^9...please help...not home work just a review sheet and i want tolearn this...i hate algebra but i listen in class and everything but i dont catch on easily..my average is a 56 and my parents have completely lost hope....lol and my career choice is to become an actor..so i ned to pass algebra please help

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When dividing exponenets with the same base, just subtract the denominator exponent from the numerator exponent. If it ends up as a negative exponent, just move it to the denominator to make it positive. If the result is a positive exponent, keep it in the numerator.

w^2 / w^6 (subtract 6 from 2, which is -4; since it is negative, move it to the denominator)

1/(w^4) <===ANSWER

(xy^8z^2)/(x^2y^9z) (subtract 2 from 1 for x, 9 from 8 for y, and 1 from 2 for z)

z/(xy) <===ANSWER

(a^10b^2)/(a^4b^9)

a^6 / b^7 <===ANSWER

• 1 decade ago

For w^2/w^6, you simply have to do: w^(2-6) = w^(-4) = 1/(w^4).

(x y^8 z^2) / (x^2 y^9 z)

= x^(1-2) y^(8-9) z^(2-1)

= x^(-1) y^(-1) z

= z / (xy)

(a^10 b^2) / (a^4 b^9)

= a^(10-4) b^(2-9)

= a^6 b^(-7)

= a^6 / b^7

• 1 decade ago

w^2/ w^6 = 1/ w^4

x y^8 z^2/ x^2 y^9 z = z/ xy

a^10 b^2/ a^4 b^9 = a^6/ b^7

when dividing exponents you subtract them and whatever the difference is between them whether it's positive or negative you make the exponent positive where it was larger

• w^2/w^6 is equal to w^2(w^-6), so it means that it's equal to w^-4, which is basically 1/w^4...:)

xy^8 z^2/x^2 y^9 z is equal to xy^8 x^2 (x^-2 y^-9 z^-1), so it means that it's equal to x^-1 y^-1 z^-1, which is basically 1/xyz...:)

and a^10 b^2/ a^4 b^9 is equal to and a^10 b^2 (a^-4 b^-9), so it means that it's equal to a^6 b^-7, which is basically a^6/b^7....:)

Hope it helps

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

properly that's a diverse improve. i might decide for the Bimmer. they stay sturdy if precise maintained and carry an spectacular resale value in case some thing occurs. i might recommend going to a BMW broking and making a purchase order on a 2007 BMW 6-sequence. the hot 2008's are in with in elementary terms minor variations to the front fascia and rear bonnet. this might shop you some money. in case you're keen to get a sedan, i might look at a BMW 335i. this might shop your cash whilst having a sturdy finding motor vehicle interior the approach. The 335 has a greater effectual engine than the previous M3 (M is BMW's supercharged version of their autos, i've got confidence Chrysler makes use of SRT) it is going to knock your socks off. you will get a type of for type of $50,000 with leather-based, Navigation device, Sunroof, etc. BMW particularly does make super products so i'm not sure what else to tell you to look at. sturdy success

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.