Does Job Reassignment mean I am in danger of being terminated?

Ok, here is the full story. I started with my original company about 9.5 years ago. I have always had good reviews, even after the company I was hired under got merged/acquired by a larger company. Earlier this year, I had a couple bad marks listed on my last review, ones which I did not agree with, and I felt it was easily explainable due to the fact that my mother was hospitalized in serious condition. Since that bad review, I asked what else I could do to meet the gap, and was even told by my manager that I would be back in a "meets expectations" category. Earlier today, I was told by my manager, and her manager, that I was going to be reassigned to another group because they felt it would be a "good" opportunity for me. I can't help but get the feeling that I am being setup to be lead out the door. I voiced my concerns about this new role they want me in at work, but it's not like this is a move I can choose to take. I am not sure what to make of it or what to do. Should I be posting my resume to start looking for another job or am I just overreacting? If you do feel like I am being setup for the axe, should I ask for a severance now? Is there anything legally I can do to protect myself?

• Angie
    Favorite Answer

There's one of two scenarios going on here. But it's hard to tell which one is right.

You could be right that they are just moving to you get you in a position to get rid of you. But you don't know that for sure. Severance is not something you ask for, it's something you are given if they have a downsizing and lay you off.

On the other hand, they may just truly want to move you to the other area to get more experience. I've had that happen. Although it's confusing and upsetting at first, it may not be a bad thing in the long run.

As for getting your resume posted and looking for another job, there's never anything wrong with "testing the waters". Sometimes the right job it there when you need it. So if you are really feeling unsure about the situation, you can try that route.