R&P : What do y0u think the.. .?

.. .People at your school, peers, friends, family, Etc.. .Would say about the type of music you listen to?

I mean you sure don't have the patience and time to tell them the exact subgenre and terminology of the type rock/metal you listen. When people ask me I just say rock. Period.

But how do you think they'd react if you had to mention stuff like Prog. Metal, Symphonic Black Metal, Melodic Mathcore, Gothic doom, Etc.. .And such stuff. Im just thinking about how funny it'd be. Lol seein their reaction.

BQ1 - Never been a fan of coldplay. But would you take Keane anyday over them instead? I would.

BQ2 - Ever heard about the Stereophonics? I love that song 'Superman', and 'Dakota' too. Sadly theres not too many other i like too. Your thoughts?

Too lazy for links, Sorry.

Cheers!

Favorite Answer

They get all iffy because they've never heard the bands I listen to, although we do all find the occasional one in common. I usually say "alternative" and don't really go into subgenres. I have before and it freaks people out slightly :) I restrict my music geekiness to Y!A for the most part :)

BA1 - nah, Coldplay have one song (Spies) that I can stand, Keane have none. Sorry... not much of a choice :)

BA2 - same, only like a couple of their songs but my favourite by far is The Bartender and The Thief. sorry, only a live version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFnUPCNmySs

Youtube thumbnail

Well my mother would be absolutely horrified if she heard 99% of the metal bands I listen to. She would probably have a triple bypass. Dad not so much but he would still think I was crazy. My brother likes bands that incorporate harsh vocals but doesn't like hardcore-esque screaming, so he can't get into my music but he still accepts that I like it. My friends are cool with it even though the majority of them prefer stuff like alternative and indie rock. I usually describe my kind of music to people as "heavy rock" or something similar. My older relatives wouldn't even know what the words "progressive metal, symphonic metal, melodic mathcore or gothic doom" meant. It wouldn't be funny for me to see their reaction because they would probably think I was a devil-worshipper or a violent criminal or something.

I would take almost any band over Coldplay. except Metro Station and the Jonas Brothers.

I've heard of the Stereophonics but haven't heard any of their music. Never been interested.....

• They know I like metal. Metal had a huge following at my school, so I was lucky. It wasn't even always the stereotypical metalheads that liked metal either, it was everyone, whether it be jocks, or the preppier kids. It was great. A lot of people are surprised though that me and my friends listen to what we do that don't know us because we don't fit the "stereotype".

Mostly they like it... I mean I like a lot of rock, and the old stuff that my brother and dad like (Queen, The Beatles, The Who, etc) but I also like some symphonic metal/rock stuff, like Within Temptation. My family even finds Evanescence kind of weird.

• Olive

I just say post-rock and give them the names of a few of bands I like.

BA1: I like Coldplay and Keane

BA2: I love Stereophonics! And yes, "Dakota" is amazing. I also love "Hurry Up and Wait" and "Local Boy In The Photograph" Great band, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGKRxiffhSg

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQe54bqzU1A

Youtube thumbnail

• Sarah

Oh yeah, totally. I say "rock", because most people don't even know what indie rock is, or even alternative.

As you can see, most of the people around me, except for a few friends, listen to crappy "top 40" junk.

No one really says anything to tell you the truth....they are all cool with it :)

people dont criticize my music cos theyve never heard of the bands i listen to. i dunno how people would react to metal; the people at my school who listen to metal are into pretty much only metallica or slipknot, so idk.