Questions about the Quran... and the other two books that some follow beside it? (lot of questions)?

I've heard that there are two other books (I'll let you give me the names as I will probably name them wrong) that some or most in the Islamic faith use along side the Quran. I kind of have quite a few questions about them.

First, what exactly are the two other books? Not just their names, but also could you give me some history about them? Such as who wrote them and what types of things are written in them?

Also, I heard one of them was written by, or maybe it was written about, Mohammad's life... are either of those things true?

I also was wondering, do all muslims use the other two in conjunction with the Quran as far as practicing religion? If there are those who only use the Quran for religious purposes, what are the other two books considered by these people?

OK... and I do have one question about the Quran by itself. Perhaps you know of how there are "study guides" that you can buy and use to help you when you read the bible. Are there things like this for the Quran as well, or are there other books out there that would be good to use when trying to understand the Quran?

Any other information you are willing to give me would be appreciated. Also, if you know of any good websites where I might learn more (particularly about the two books, but also about the Quran), could you give me the links to those as well?

Thanks

(Athal) Unfortunately my computer is very slow and I have trouble watching video's on it. I will try to at a later point though. Thanks.

Yes, the Hadith or Hadiths was one of the books out there I've heard mentioned, but I thought they were all one book (so I am thinking now that they are a lot of different books, and that is why it is plural?). I also thought the hadith/s were also an intregal part of many who practice the religion, but it might be I misunderstood that this and one other book was followed along side the Quran. So.. bukhari and muslim are actually part of the hadiths, right? How many hadith books are there? How does one know which ones are more pure, or more right than the others?? Or are they all considered important in some way? Sorry, I'm not trying to badger, I'm just very confused on what else most people use as a part of the Islamic/muslim religion other than the Quran.

I don't think I meant the bible and torah, though it might be wherever I heard these things I just got confused as they were also talking about the hadiths (and so I assumed the hadiths were one of the "two books" mentioned). I don't remember what the second book was, but perhaps it was the tafsir, I dont know.

If anyone else replies.. could you also explain why those who do not follow the hadiths are not considered muslims by some? I think I heard this side of it, from someone who believed this, but it was a long time ago so I can't recall a lot of the conversation we had. I am wondering though why is it the Hadiths are considered the "difinitive" way of explaination of the Quran? I read somewhere where someone explained that it was wrong to follow them, because there is a verse in the Quran that says it is the only holy book to follow? Please, don't get offended by my question if you feel one way or the other, I am just confused on the issue of all the books that are used with the Quran.

Also (and sorry violetsunset if one of the books in the link you gave has this) but is there a website that actually has all of the hadiths? Would I start with the Quran, the Hadiths, or both if I wanted to understand the religion of Islam better?

Anyway, thank you for answering. I think I may just be confusing myself more right now, as there just seems to be so much information to sort through. I will check out a few of the links you all gave me, maybe that will help explain things better (though I did see there are seven different books to download from the site you gave me, violetsunset!). Thank you though.

Thank you True Creed, yes, that explained it a little better for me (though I think for now I will leave figuring out the differences between the different beliefs sytems for later).

I also think I did figure out at least the name of the two books (or whatever form you would call them) are. I'm pretty sure the two things I heard mentioned was the Hadith and the Sunnah. I have no idea what the Sunnah is, whether it is part of a different belief system, one of the hadiths, or something else all together. Though again, I'm going to leave it for later.

I did find the hadiths, or at least part of them (thank to VS, I'd only glanced at it when I wrote the other details). Also a different english translation of the Quran that is easier for me to read online (w/o the arabic beside it)... though I will probably try to find something downloadable later.

Anyway, thank you all again.

Favorite Answer

Great questions!! Now in order to get a full understanding of Islam you must know all sides of the issue so let me recommend a few other sites to visit.

jihadwatch.org

memri.org

politicalislam.com

usastopshariah.wordpress.com

faithfreedom.org

fatherzakaria.net

There are many other places to find the answers, follow some of the links on those sites and discover for yourself Islam and how it interacts with the world today.

Source(s): 54 years of living and studying comparative religion and ME history
  • rezai

Most individuals are satisfied that the are proper, whether or not they're atheists, agnostics or from the numerous extraordinary religions or faiths that there are. Of direction, there are lots of individuals who've researched and realize different religions or ideals. There also are many that certainly not hassle and aren't concerned with finding out approximately some thing which does not fit their possess notion. I totally realize why individuals achieve the conclusions they've approximately their notion or non-notion. My ideals are powerful. I too am satisfied that my religion is the reality, nevertheless I recognize that different individuals have come to an overly extraordinary end. I additionally realize they suppose the identical means as I do. At the top of our lives, just one notion will probably be proper, every person else could have received it flawed. This is something that we will be definite approximately. Until we die, we can't end up who's proper. How can any person ever persuade every person what in reality, while there are such a large amount of choices? It's an inconceivable query to remedy. How did I do it? I researched generally. Asked lots of puzzled and prayed. I seeked God with all of my middle and feel that I have discovered him. God bless.

thanks for asking about islam i think most of your questions have been answered but i will give you short comment hoping it will help.you asked about the two book and this is Quran and sunna (which is the 6 books of the hadith the most popular is bukhari and muslim).most of muslims belief that the hadith is inspired (except the Qurani who believe in Quran only) like the Quran but it was collected later and preserved by a science was invited for that purpose called science of hadith

the sunna is needed as it is more detailed as it describe each inch in the prophet life.

i advice you to begin with Quran to know general info about what islam is then read the sunna and how it is preserved

for Quran (if u r in usa or canada you can get free Quran from yusuf estes web site)

http://www.allahsquran.com/

for info about sunna (6 books of hadith) and how it was preserved

http://www.islamreligion.com/category/81/

dont hesitate to contact me if you needed any thing

best regards

"Are there things like this for the Quran as well, or are there other books out there that would be good to use when trying to understand the Quran?"

sure, Quran Tafseer helps you understand Quran well (I`m a native arab muslim, yet I need always to refer to tafseer books to understand Quran well). if ur a non-Arab and non-muslim and u read Quran without refering to Tafseer books ,u`ll end up more confused and misunderstanding Quran.

just type : tafseer on line, and read through tafseer Ibn Kathir ( I use this tafseer always but u sure can ask about other authentic tafseer books)

the majority of Muslims do use the Quran + books of Hadith (the actions,sayings,approvals of Prophet Muhammed pbuh).they are Bukhari and Muslim books. and these two also have books that explain their contexts . (btw these two are not the only authentic hadith books but the most used)

• khany

peace justmeish,

you can find a reliable english translation of the quran for downloading here: http://imaanstar.com/downloads/download.php?file=q...

the quran ebook comes with brief chapter summaries which provide the historical context of each surah together with its main themes.

if you would like to better understand the meanings of a particular verse in the qur'an you need to refer to a commentary on the meanings of the quran (called a tafseer). i recommend the tafseer by maudoodi available here: http://www.tafheem.net/main.html

to answer you question about "other books" in islam.

there are only primary sources of islam i.e. the qur'an and the sunnah (the traditions of the prophet).

all muslims are unified in the belief that the qur'an is the preserved word of god revealed to the prophet (peace be upon him). all muslims refer to a single qur'an for guidance which has been unaltered from the day it was revealed.

the saying, actions, letters, approval and disapproval of prophet muhammad (peace be upon him) is the second source of guidance for muslims. while muslims agree upon the importance of following the prophet muslims differ when it comes to what they accept as "authentic traditions". the sunnah, unlike the quran, were not compiled under guidance of the prophet and there is no single book of traditions. following the death of the prophet (peace be upon him) many individuals set about the task of recording and compiling these traditions. however, in this process many fabricated, or otherwise corrupted, traditions came to be mixed with the authentic traditions. over the centuries muslims have developed an elaborate science of determining the degree of authenticity of traditions.

popular compilations of hadeeth (sayings of the prophet) amongst "sunni muslims" are the texts compiled by "bukhari" and "muslim". these hadith collections are not presented as a narrative but rather they are seemingly random snippets of conversations and events one after the other categorized by their subject matter. since you are new to learning about islam, i recommend that you begin by reading the quran and supplement this knowledge by reading a good biography of the prophet since this will introduce you to his life (sayings and actions) in the proper historical context. i recommend the biography by martin lings: "muhammad: his life based on the earliest sources".

hope that helps.

we believe in the bible and torah in their original form but i think you are not talking about these. maybe you are talking about hadith from 'sahih bukhari and muslim'

hadith are reports from the companions of the prophet, who told us what they observed him say and do, his character, appearance, etc. there are many hadith books- bukhari, muslim, ahmad, tirmithy, abu daood, etc. but bukhair and muslim are the most authentic. in order for a hadith to be recorded it goes through strict guidelines. the one wro reports it has to be religious, have good character, not be a liar, and each person in the narration has to be known.

the biography of the prophet is called 'seerah'

we have some notes to interpret Qur'an, they say in detail where the verse was revealed and in what context and what the scholars understood it to mean, and they also show the hadith that makes us understand it better. it is called tafsir. one of the most famous and reliable tafsir is tafsir ibn kathir

edited to add: a good place to start is to listen to lectures and read books that explain 'aqeedah' here is a good website but it might b too detailed?

http://saheefah.org/

then i'd say read Qur'an. if you can't understand a verse, then go to the tafsir for reference. tafsir contains hadith explaining the verse itself.

the prophet pbuh said that at the end of time, among the jews there will be 71 sects, among the christians will be 72 sects, and among his ummah (muslims) there will be 73 sects. all will be in the hellfire except one (meaning they will spend some time in the hellfire, not necessarily eternity). when he was asked which one is that? he said 'the one that follows my sunnah (my ways)' and this we learn from the hadith- these are what his companions told us he did.

so this is why it is so important to follow the sunnah (hadith). all muslims follow Qur'an but very few follow the sunnah.

another reason is that in the Qur'an, it says to follow the messenger Muhammad pbuh. so in order to obey what Allah tells us in the Qur'an, we must obey our messenger.

just to clarify, there are different types of hadith. some describe the prophet, his character, his looks, his actions, and some are commands the prophet told us to do, or prohibitions. we must b very careful to follow his commands.

and my advice to you now is to take it easy. islam was revealed to the prophet over a long period of time, i think it was 23 years? and Allah did not prohibit things right away. first Allah called to know that Allah is One. when people were firm in their faith, only then He gave them commands and prohibitions. when we first start islam, we make many mistakes. many born muslims make mistakes. as long as you keep learning and practice what you do know, there will be no sin on you inshaAllah.

Source(s): http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_conten... this link lets you download books- tafsir and hadith
  • Shah

The Muslims are divided into many sects and schools of thoughts. The Major sects (or school of thoughts) that you will hear are :

1- Sunnis (Approx. 80-85%)

2- Shias (Approx. 15-20%).

There are sub divisions within these sects. But this is the most broadest classification.

The Quran is Common for all the sects. However they have different books for Hadith. And the differences in hadith books / or sets, are the major reason of the differences and division.

There is a VERY VERY small sect / school of thought which is also generally called "Submitters". There are MANY names for this sect i.e.:

1- Quranis

2- Quranists.

3- Pervaizis.

4- Submitters.

5- Reformist-submitters OR just Reformists.

They are PERHAPS less than 0.1% of the Muslim masses. They have ONE very major critical difference with ALL the rest of the Muslims.

They believe that the "ONLY" divine book / source is the Quran. And they REJECT all the other man made sources i.e. Hadith.

I am introducing this 0.1% to you because I am a Reformist Submitter.

I think you are talking about Bukhari and Muslim.These two books are considered to be the most purest books in Islam after Quran.

Besides these two we have four more books that we consider to be authentic.

These books are compilation of Prophet Muhammads saying, actions etc.They are the 2nd source of knowledge in Islam.Whoever rejects those books apparently rejects Islam because in the Quran God ordered us to obey the messenger.

Hadiths are not direct words of God.It helps us to understand Quran better.For example, Quran tells us to pray, but it doesnt say how.We know it from the hadith. Prophet Muhamad explained everything in details.All of his actions and sayings were recorded as hadith after his death.

1st book of hadith was recorded about 200 years after the prophets death.To know more about the science and history of hadith visit this site:

http://troid.org

And to answer your last question, yes there are some people who reject hadiths.They go against the mainstream Islam ( which is based on Quran and Sunnah/Hadith) that do not recognize them ( the hadith rejectors) as Muslims.

ey, wasup.

1. The 2 other books are the bible and the torah. The bible was sent to jesus (as) and the torah was sent to moses (as). There what the jewish people follow and the christans. As for now islam believe's they have been changed in certain spots and aren't authentic. It is part of islam to believe in all the prophets, so yes we believe in moses (as) and jesus (as) as prophets and that when these books were revealed to them, they were the truth.

2. if i got the right books, than this is not true. Altho mohammed (pbuh) was mentioned in the bible. And jesus (as) is mentioned to have said "there will be a prophet after me with the name ahmed (mohammed {pbuh})" in the quran.

3. The bible and torah are somewhere correct. As we don't believe they were completely changed. but you don't know for sure which was and which wasn't. thus we follow the quran (our guide).

4. im not quite sure about this. You can read the translation of the quran tho at this website http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/ ... And when u don't understand something you can ask someone here or from another islamic forum.

5. Info i would like to give. you might come across a lot of things in the quran that seem 'wrong'. to completely understand the quran, u have to read the whole chapter. you can't just read one verse and understand it. you also have to know why the chapter was revealed and in what context. in other words, don't let the media/anti-muslim fool you. Search everything for yourself and take both views, a muslims and a non-muslims before you make your choice.

if you want u can e-mail me, and ill give you my e-mail. if u use hotmail or yahoo, and you can ask me. If you want.

Take care

g'luck

bye :)

oops. I misunderstood. As for the two books yes, they seem to be the hadiths. These were man written. there are many different writers. The 2 most known are Sahih Buhkari, and Sahih Muslim. You can read hadiths off this site http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/searchhadith...

As for hadith. many things won't make sense. Just like the quran you have to compare them with the rest of islam to completely understand them. (not anyone, a scholar). what you can do if you don't understand is search the hadith and its context and ask about it. Another thing about the hadiths is not every hadith is authentic. Scholars have shown which ones are true and which ones aren't. idk where you can find this, but a quick search about the hadith might get you an answer.

Bye for now :)

edit:

Umm some background information of hadith books.

They were written after the prophets death. These books mostly explain are religion. For example. quran will tell muslims to pray. Hadith will explain how muslims pray, u get what i mean? The people who wrote hadiths (muslim and buhkari) they followed a chain of people to get to the truth. For example. After the prophets death, Aisha (ra) would tell someone something, and that someone would carry the message on to another person and another person and so on, until buhkari and muslim were thought the hadith was very accurate, they would write it down. This is one reason many hadiths are not authentic. But i don't think anything in muslim or buhkari are false. I think they're all correct, as far as i know...

pce (last edit, i think) lol

EDIT: ____

Ok, as u may know. There are sects between the muslims. There are sunni, and there are shia. The hadiths we are talking about are what sunni follow. And I believe shia follow only certain ones (which ar also written in there book). I can’t really talk about shia tho, since they have a different concept, and I should let you discover for yourself about these 2 groups. (although I can defend sunni at my best, if u got any questions).

For those who follow hadiths. They are sunni muslims. Just to get that out of your way. There are also other groups that are really minority, and believe only in quran (nothing to back it up) … religion doesn’t really make sence, as I said b4 somethings aren’t explained in the quran.

There’s a type of people that believe there shouldn’t be anything written about mohammed (pbuh). As for the quran, it tells us to follow the messenger (pbuh) which is explained in the hadiths. That’s why they are very important to us.

Now more about the hadiths. There are many writers. But the 2 that would most likely get mentioned are buhkari and muslim.

Here’s links to each one.

Muslim – http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsun...

Buhkari - http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsun...

For those who aren’t considered muslims. It’s not because they don’t follow hadith. It’s because there history is different than ours. Idk which scholar exactly said there non-muslims, but I think its been done b4. For example. The companions of the prophet we believe were loyal and true, they don’t and vise versa. Practically there 2 different religions. Islam 1 and islam 2. Just imagine them like that. Each with there own books, exept they all follow the quran (but they/we translate certain things differently).

As for getting offended. How are we suppose to spread islam, if we don’t get questions to answer?

I advise u start by reading the quran. Not the hadiths. And then later on there is a book with the most important/commun hadiths which u can take a look at. I don’t think u need to read all the hadiths. But g’luck if u try to.

Hope I helped. Like I said I u got any questions e-mail me or add me on messenger

My 2 e-mails are

lostg20@hotmail.com or true.creed@yahoo.com

Bye for now.

edit: actually the rest of your questions are very easy...

Sunnah is anything the prophet used to do that is extra and not obligatory. There are rewards for these. and the sunnah we get them from hadith books.

um the english translation of the quran i sent you, is only english. there is no arabic over there. The arabic is written in english just for the chapter name. but if u click on it it'll only be in english.

like this fore example

001.001

YUSUFALI: In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

PICKTHAL: In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

SHAKIR: In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

Pickthal, yusuf ali, and shakir are just 3 different translators.

That is the translation for verse one of chapter one.

here is the link one more time http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/001.qmt.html

As for a software.

http://www.islamasoft.co.uk/downloads.html

that is a site for all the hadiths downloads. Just download the software than download the plug in for the hadith writer (buhkari, muslmi.. ect...)

http://www.2muslims.com/directory/Detailed/223253....

that is a quran software. It has arabic in it as well. im not sure if u can disable the arabic tho, so u can get only english.

Umm, your welcome for the help,

my pleasure

bye