Do you think it is possible to raise a child without any form of punishment?

Why or why not? If you think punishment is necessary, which form do you consider most effective? Why?

Favorite Answer

An irresponsible parent can raise a spoiled child who is not ready for the real world without any kind of punishment. Without limits and punishment, children will grow up think they can do as they please. Then, what happens when they get into the real world? You are going to be punished if you steal something, there is punishment for breaking the law.

My father was a great man. He caught me stealing one time, and I still remember his talk to this day. He told me every bad action has a bad consequence. He explained to me that there would ALWAYS be rules, and consequneces for breaking them. Then he gave me a big time spanking, to prove that point. It is important for children to learn the lesson I did.

If you raise a child without boundaries and consequences, then you are setting them up to have a hard time in life. So, yeah you can do it, but I do not see why you would want to raise a child that is going to fail

Sure, it's possible to raise a child without any sort of punishment or limits.

A better question would be, is it possible to raise a child to be a healthy, functional member of society without any sort of punishment or limits, and that would be a resounding NO!

Children need boundaries, limits and consequences. Society is all about limits and consequences. If children don't learn that in the home, they are set up to fail as adults.

Some punishment is required. This doens't mean necessarily a physical punishment like spanking, but there must be some penalty for misbehavior. Kids need to learn there are boundaries that they have to respect, or else they won't be able to function as adults.

I will not have a problem spanking my kids, although it will be a last resort. They'll get a lot more of timeouts and losing privileges than they will spankings.

It's possible to raise a spoiled brat without any form of punishment. My 15 month old son tries to turn on the oven. I told him no repeatedly but he kept doing it. So, I swatted his behind. He's never done it since. It's for their own good and safety.

Their may very well be. I believe that in most cases misbehavior is a symptom to an underlining problem. A toddler is overtired or a child needs to be listened to. In theory if you address the underlying problem their is no need for punishment. It is indeed a fascinating theory, but one I doubt has ever been used in practice.

No, children need boundaries... no punishment is teaching your child that they can be little brats... however, I feel that the punishment should fit the crime... and they should be rewarded for good behavior as well as punished for bad behavior... there has to be a balance

Sure, it has been done. However the child usually turns into a spoiled brat. Logic doesn't work on 3 year olds. A good swat on the behind they understand.

• dalmas

the suitable punishment particularly relies upon on the youngster and despite it rather is the youngster has performed/no longer performed. such as you, i do no longer have confidence in spanking a baby except they have performed some thing very incorrect, so I frequently motel to time-outs or loss of privileges (television, pc, X-container, etc.) There are in elementary terms 2 circumstances the place my infants might particularly get a spanking: (one million) in the event that they ever mentioned "no" to me or their mom, and (2) in the event that they threw a temper tantrum and did no longer provide up at present day whilst they have been informed to. One tactic my brother makes use of is "counting." he's rather sturdy approximately no longer elevating his voice to his infants and saying please and thank you whilst he asks them to do issues, yet he expects them to take heed to him, so if he tells them to do some thing or to renounce doing some thing and that they seem to be blowing him off he starts counting. If he gets to 10, they get a time-out or a spanking (study: One swat on the butt) based. they are frequently all right-behaved, yet there are some days the place they do purely no longer seem to take heed to him, and it rather is continually on those days the place he has had to talk to them persistently lower back approximately doing what they are informed that they get spanked.

It is possible but most parents are too stupid or lazy to do anything other hit their child.

• raerae

no, a child needs 2 know that they're consequences to their actions