Is this comman in USA?

Are there children that are made to live by there father not there mother, child and family court and lawyers have no say in the matter. It was a decision made by there parent jointly. I mean child was not abandoned by mother, but mother still sees child several time a week and is very active in there life?

Favorite Answer

It's not that common. I don't know where people live in the US where it is. Yes, it does happen but not often. Many mothers will take the kids even if she doesn't really want them. It's an economic windfall for the mother.

I had to fight to live with my loving father. He always treated me well and with kindness. My mother didn't care for children. I know this from her actions. It took 3 years and it cost my dad a lot of money, but I'm so happy he did.

The courts here are still very biased to the mother regardless of circumstances. I hope to be able to do something to change this for other fathers and children in the US. I understand it's the same way in the UK as well.

Not necessarily. In most cases there are courts and lawyers involved. It is possible and fine for a family to set up an arrangement without courts being involved, but in most of those cases you see the mom with the children and the father with visitation. I think that in most cases where the father gets the child either the child is old enough to make up their own mind on who to live with or the mother is not that actively involved in the child's life. I don't know many mothers who love their babies enough to make an effort to see them every day but not fight for primary custody of them.

• Arwen

When my in-laws split my FIL got custody of both of their kids, so it's not uncommon, though it's still more common for mothers to get custody. Sometimes it's because the father isn't interested or able to take custody, other times it's a court decision. When the kids are older they get a say in which parent they live with.

I had custody of and raised my son by myself from the time he was 2 years old. His mother was a good mother but I really enjoyed parenting and was better able to take care of him. I'm not speaking of finance here since we were both employed in computers. She took him 2 weekends out of 3 and I had him all week and 1 weekend out of 3. That was a compromise. She would have loved to have had him every weekend but I wanted some play time with him. Every other weekend was not enough time for her and so every 3rd weekend with me was a halfway point between that and every weekend with her.

Yes. Children do not always live with their mother. Some fathers have physical placement of the child.

We also have stay at home dads in the US as well.

• ?

yup I grew up that way after my parents split. we saw my mother every day and every weekend we just lived with my dad. not because my mother was a bad mom but because she wanted us to continue our educations at the good schools we where already in. she didn't want us going to the bad schools in the city.

Yes I have this situation right now with my ex. My lil boy lives with him and I see him every weekend and all summer. At the time this is what our lil boy wanted and my lil boy's happiness meant more to me than trying to fight my ex in court, so this is what we decided to agree upon and it has worked out so far.

These days fathers raise their children just as often as mothers do. The times, they are a changin'!

I don't know how common... but I know plenty of people who live with their father...and I know plenty who live with their mother. It just depends on the situation.

Yes of course, its common.

Works out better if it was a mutual agreement.