German and French in High School?

Ok, so me and some of the other Gifted & Talented students in our high school are petitioning to expand our foreign languages department to also include German and French, instead of just Spanish. Our principal was open to the idea, but he said in order to present the idea to the school board, we'd have to have support, as well as practical reasons that these languages should be taught. We have the support, but now we need the reasons. If you can think of any reasons that these two languages would be useful, please let me know.

Favorite Answer

my big sis is in tenth grade and this is her second year of french she say's its easy. but its not use less. me, i'll stay with spanish

German is the business language of Europe, French is also important, it also helps a lot when you are looking for colleges, if they see you have a few years with pretty much any language but spanish, since so many kids take it. My middle school has four different language options (German, Spanish, French, and Latin), so I was kind of surprised by this.

Latin helped me out a lot with the SATs - taking it makes spelling, figuring out definitions and grammar much easier.If he wants to go into international relations he can always take a spoken language in college, most likely Spanish, Arabic or Russian. For now though, I'd recommend Latin. Personally, I also found it easier than French and Spanish, which I also took for shorter periods of time. I was just absolutely rubbish at speaking a foreign language, and Latin was purely translation, not conversational.