Is it legal for my father to record his wife and kid's private conversations? Then try to use it in court?

I'm 18, my brother is 16, and the youngest brother is 12. So I've learned my father has recorded us all. And is planning to use it in court or whatever. I've completely lost my trust in him.. Isn't this wrong? Or illegal?

Well I live in the state of Florida

Favorite Answer

Yes, it is illegal. One of the people being recorded must have knowledge of the recording otherwise it is not admissible in court. This is for every state in the USA.

Source(s): I work for a divorce attorney
  • Mrs. B

I think it depends on the state you are in. I don't know the laws in every state, of course, but where I live it is not legal to record someone unless you tell them that they are being recorded, unless they are on your property. So like, it's ok to have video surveillance in a convenience store that you own, or have nanny cams in your house, however, you could not legally record someone while you were walking together in a park. I would check your states website for further info. These types of laws can get tricky.

**Edit - let me clarify....it would be legal to record that person, just not admissable in court, without that persons knowledge.

• ?

If your father and mother have joint custody then it may be admissible in court.. If he has none then, it probably will be dismissed. Children's/ Minors testimonies are at times not admissible if the child was unaware that they were being recorded. Some states don't allow it unless the other party is aware and gives permission. How bad is it. I say, talk to your lawyer and say that you were minipulated into saying what you said but had no validation. Then look your father right into his eyes and say "May God have Mercy on Your Soul."

I think it all depends on the laws in your state or country. However if you haven't said anything that you wouldn't say in court, don't worry about it. If you feel you were trapped in saying things that you other wise wouldn't, explain to the Judge the way you feel. That isn't right for your Dad to trick you and I would make sure the court knew how I felt. (and your Dad)

Your father by telling you that and I don't blame you but I do not want you to loss

respect for him.But you kids better stop bugging your father

it's driving him nuts. No He can't use this is in Court but I wish he could.

Did you kids ever lesion to what you all say or you will as he will save this

and you can hear your self 10 years from now.

Source(s): A Fathers Job is hard.
  • carree

nicely, i understand of a uk case close to the position I stay that develop into thrown out of courtroom because conversations were recorded secretly by making use of police interior the workout backyard at a community nick after arrests we re made. the people were being charged with homicide, and admissions were made on secretly recorded tapes, even if the case develop into thrown out as inadmissible and unacceptable evidence by making use of the courtroom. i imagine in spite of the truth that, you may want to seek perfect criminal suggestion interior the first get jointly, and your solicitor will propose you wisely. This web site is finished of shite and one might want to no longer take people's evaluations on right here as gospel.

It would be legal if he had informed you about the recording. One loop hole is that, if your father believed things in your home were harmful, he can use the tapes in court.

Unless he has a court order to do so. For instance, the police wire someone to incriminate someone then use that tape against them. I doubt your father has a court order.

I believe ,but ask a lawyer, that if he was not one of the parties on the Phone, he violated the laws of the USA. It;s called ileggally wiretapping and is a federal offense. As for morality, he is nuts, end of discussion.

It depends on where you are.. It is illegal in California. You can not record a person without their knowledge.