Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

Can exercise stop your period?

I'm 17 years old, 5'6", and somewhere around 120-124 pounds. I exercise every single day (jumping jacks, jump roping, treadmill, weights) and I'm wondering if this is a bad idea. I haven't had my period since January. Back in the winter, I was down to 115 lbs. and unfortunately gained at least half of what I had initially lost. I thought that now that I gained back some weight that my period would start again, but it hasn't. Is it the exercise causing it? Or is there something else wrong with me?

Favorite Answer

Lots of things could be causing your cycle to be irregular. You should talk to your doctor about it. It is most likely not anything serious, especially since you are young. You might have just thrown things off with your weight loss/gain. But definitely talk to your doctor, he or she can probably help you figure out what is going on.

If you exercise too much, your period will stop. But an hour or so a day will keep you regular....I just want to point out that if you REALLY want to have a baby...just try and get pregnant now... do you really want to do all that work to get the weight off and then gain it back during pregnancy and have to start all over? If I was you, I would just have a baby first, work off the weight all at once afterward, rather than twice, and then if u exercise vigorously, you wont care if your period stops...right? :) KUDOS though, for wanting to be healthy! :) the only risk factor to being overweight and pregnant is gestational diabetes (diabetes only when pregnant) but this can lead to juvenile diabetes in your child... the way to prevent this is to simply watch your sugar intake (and sodium!) it's the perfect opportunity to get used to eating a more healthy diet.... so i say hold off the exercising, have you a beautiful baby, and then work toward your weight loss goal. GOOD LUCK with both baby and weight loss! :)

I think you could gain a bit more weight to be at the average for your height. If you're exercising TOO much then that could be why your periods are so irregular.

• odam

excessive and prolonged exercise can interfere with your period. Were you regular before January? It seems you are obsessed with your weight. You should discuss your lifestyle with your doctor.

Exercise can stop your period.

Many things can actually.

Exercising too much

Having a lot of stress,

not eating right

Source(s): Going through the same thing

whoa, i hope u didnt just get pregnant, and ur overexcessive exercizing just resulted in a misscarrage which is why ur not huge, and fat....but if ur sexually active, it could be something to consider.(cuz u can never b 2 safe)

you may need to go to the doc and get checked out you may be underweight

Maybe, you should consult your doctor.