what's the maximum mileage for each?

Generally, what's the maximum mileage for each of these types of engines before they totally crap out?

4-cylinder:

6-cylinder:

The reason I ask is because I am in the process of looking for a small car, that does not have too many miles on it, and is not a gas guzzler. My dad, in his all-knowingness glory, recently strutted in and said that cars with a certain number of cylinders max out at different mileages. Please don't misunderstand me to think I am asking about gas mileage! I am asking about how many miles these types of engines can take (average) before they are the equivalent of overgrown paperweights!?

Favorite Answer

I agree with Robbie -- it is a common misconception that engine life is somehow related to the number of cylinders. Engine design and component quality, maintenance, driving conditions and driver behaviour are the primary influences. Everything else being equal, the only thing the number of cylinders could change is the bill you would have to pay in the event of major engine repairs: fewer cylinders could well mean a bit less money.

The larger the engine the less miles you can get.

A big V8 truck will only get like 10-20 Max

A V6 can get anywhere from 18-30 Max

And a 4 cylinder can get the best from 24-38 Max

You cannot get definite answers because even if it is a four cylinder there can be a 1.5 liter honda motor, or a 2.0 liter mitsubishi motor, or even a big Subaru Impressa 2.5 liter four cylinder, and all these have different ratio's to compare.

Just as the V6's and V8's.

• Robert

Life cycle of an engine isn't a function of the number of cylinders. It is a function of initial quality along with the preventive maintenance program.

the average car these days will make it well past 300,000 kms if they are properly maintained.