I have a 12 carat diamond necklace, How much could I get for it?

I'm no jewlery expert, so i'm wondering how much the average 12 carats could cost? Its a diamond choker with pear shaped diamonds in a platinum setting..thats all I know about it, like i said not an expert. I need someones professional opinion. please

I do have it in a saftey deposit box. And I just wanted an estimate that's all. Not an exact value.

Favorite Answer

If you really wanted to sell it, I would say in the 10s of thousands. Your best bet would be to take it to a jeweler and ask them about it. They should tell you fairly how much it's worth if you tell them that you're looking to insure it and want to know how much to insure it for. They may charge a small fee, but it's worth it to get the right price. If you're looking to sell it, though, I would say wait (unless you really desperately need the money). The values of diamonds and platinum will not go down, unlike the dollar. Also, if you're keeping it around, I would suggest storing it in a safety deposit box in your bank.

Take it to a Jeweler if you want a professional opinion. No one can do that on Yahoo! Answers esp. with no picture.

depends of the quality of the diamonds...take it to a jeweler as he can tell you immediately.