I've got a Play idea, but I need help organizing it!?

Mind you, this is for school.

Alright well it's going to take place in the 1920's? An old time, that's all I now. Maybe I haven't researched enough, but as far as I'm concerned..I want it to be where everything cost like 25 cents.

Well, a middle age man who has owned his family's candy store for 15 years is opening the shop up early christmas eve. There's a blizzard going on outside but he still opens up just in case people want to buy last minute candy! well..he notices how it's extremely chilly that day and ponders why. he ignores the thought and welcomes his first customer, who is a poor 7 year old boy. he seems timid and shy but also suspicious. he walks around to a specific area of candy, mentions how cold it is, and then leaves without buying anything. next, a young 9 year old spoiled girl named victoria struts in, begs her daddy for everything, mentions how cold it is, but decides she isn't pleased..she walks out in a hurry. his next customer is an elderly couple that walk in just for a talk..the old man yells about how damn cold it is and orders his dumb old lady to leave...the candy man looks around to tidy up, shivvering, and realizes candy is missing! He calls in his wife to the shop and they debate over who could have done it. they get into an argument and finally he says "I COULD PROBABLY THINK ABOUT THIS BETTER IF IT WAS NOT SOOO COLD!" and she replies "MAYBE IF YOU'D COVER THAT DARN HOLE YOU'D BE FINE!" and he is all "hole?....what hole?" and she points him to the hole in the wall and he finds not only the source of the cold winter air, but that the candy and all its wrappers were used to make a mouse and her family a nice warm bed for christmas eve! he closes the shop and merrily leaves wishing

"merry christmas to all, and to all a goodnight!"

haha. sorry if it looks sloppy. I'm actually a great writer, but I'm in a rush to get this all acomplished! I was out of school for a week and have to write this tonight! and my partner is depending on me!! =O

Great point, candy shops probably did not open during a blizzard.

but, I don't want to be so litteral. you see, candy is a heartwarming thing..it's a special treat..and for a poor little boy to come in and only want candy, he must have had a reason. and obviously the little girl came in only to be more spoiled than she already was. and the old couple came in with the idea of spending the last of their money on something special since they are, well, OLD and eventually going to die.

of course, the shop owner will accuse the boy of stealing because hes poor, the little girl stealing because her dad wouldn't buy her what she wanted (even though he could have) and the elderly couple could have stolen the candy because they were old, stupid, and thought it was free..

obviously, in the end..he discovers it was only a mouse.

yep.

Maybe it is pointless. I'm only trying to make a decent grade. But, in my opinion, I thought the idea was pretty good.

Anyways, to help you understand better..the characters DON'T have anything to do to with the mouse because the mouse is unheard of untill the very end.

In my opinion, the fact that everyone keeps pointing out how freezing it is, is foreshadowing the discovery of the hole in the wall, therefore leading to the theif (mouse..duh!)

Alright, I'm sorry. Maybe the idea is dreadful. But I at least want to get by in my lit class and not upset my partner.

Yeah, I'd be pissed.

But I guess this guy has a gentle heart that was touched by how the mother mouse was trying to keep her babies warm.

In the end, it's christmas, which is a season of joy.

Favorite Answer

In general, I don't get the point of this at all. But specifically, I don't get the point of the characters who come into the store. What do they have to do with the mice taking the candy wrappers? To me this whole play idea is pretty pointless. Keep working at it.

aww, I'm sorry for belittling you. It's not a terrible idea. It has some potential if you just think a bit more about it. Maybe you could figure out how to create a connection between the people and the mice. Maybe you could put some more symbolism into the hole. Right now it's all just kind of random and not heading in a straight direction. You'll work it out.

I don't think he would get so many customers if there was a blizzard. I don't think Candy shop owners open in bad weather in case someone needs last minute candy. Maybe if he owned a general store that also sold candy, that way people could be out to buy candles and blankets and food.

Yeah a gerneral store would be better i think.

And why is he so happy in the end? If i was him i would be disgruntled and upset that a) i didn'y make an profit that day B) there is a huge hole in the wall of my store and C) mice have stolen and ruined all my merchandise!!! I would be pretty pissed, wouldn't you?