Digital Sister asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My cat was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer and heart disease.?

I'm struggling with the knowing the right time to have him put down because he is still acting like a normal cat. He doesn't seem to be suffering at this time with the exception of his weight. Although he has a good appetite, he is losing weight due to the cancer. Does anybody have any ideas on what I can feed him to help increase his weight or to, at least, keep him from losing anymore weight?

Favorite Answer

I am sorry to hear about your cat. My cat was diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma this year and is in remission because it was caught in very early stages. I currently give my cat Mirtazapine to increase his appetite. I was initially told to give him a 1/4 tab (15 mg tablet) every 3 days. He now takes the same dose every 5 - 7 days since he doesn't need it that often anymore. You will need to get a prescription from your Vet but it is fairly inexpensive and has kept my cat's weight up. I think that you will know when it's the right time to put your cat down. The important thing is that he has a good quality of life. Good luck and stay strong!

Source(s): I have a 12 year old cat with intestinal lymphoma

I'm so sorry to hear that your family and his has to go through something like that. Have you read the story of Job in the Bible? We do not know all the details of what God sees. One man in the Bible was going to die. He prayed that God would let him live a little longer. However that turned out that he turned from God during that extension. He didn't seek God's will and he should have. We don't know that if he were to live that maybe his whole family would die in a car wreck. Like Job we have to trust that God knows everything. He doesn't take something like this lightly. This life is short, but we are safe in the knowledge that when we do die all pains and suffering are gone. When we've been in heaven for thosands of years, these short years on earth will fade away. It's difficult as we deal with the here and now and our reality. We're dealing right now with a family member going through cancer and have had several in the family like that. We live in a broken down, fallen world and Satan uses these things for evil. But God does use it for good, that's the hard part to find sometimes. I've been through a lot of tough times myself. But looking back at them I see where they made sense why they happened the way they did. Unfortunately we all die physically. In circumstances like that makes it even harder to understand I know. Sometimes I pretend that if I were God is there reason to let him live and is their possibly reasons not to? Like I said, it could be that the future would have held something far worse. You get to a point you know that with all the possibilities that only God would know what was the right choice. But comfort in this that God will make all things right in the end. Again I feel for you in this time. Like in James, when you go into various trials ask God for wisdom. Sounds like the biggest gift you can give is comforting his wife and kids. Hugs and prayers

See the vets for this, they will know wht to do, and their the best people to go to.

My deepest sympathy for your cat, i hate to see animals suffer.

Please give him a good life

• TX Mom

No, sweetie Idk. I'm sorry your cat is so ill. I know it's hard to choose when to take them to the doctor. My dog stopped being able to walk. My other dog was clearly in pain. When the time comes, I'm sure you'll know what to do.

TX Mom