Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is it true that a mix between poodle and lab makes a non allergic type dog?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When I first was looking for a dog for my family I was asking the same question. The simple, and possibly disappointing answer is, there is no such thing as a non-allergic dog. You've got a lot of smart people replying, because almost everyone that has posted is correct.

The great news is that there are some dogs that cause less allergies than others, and they are called "hypoallergenic" dogs. The mixed breed you describe poodle x lab or "labradoodle" isn't a hypoallergenic dog. Well intentioned people have created a tremendous amount of misinformation.

This may be old information for you, but if not then maybe it will be helpful.

Allergies (allergic rhinitis), skin rashes (eczema), and asthma can be caused by the dander and saliva of the dog. Since all dogs have dander and saliva, why don't people have problems? Sadly, some people have problems no matter what dog they choose. Commonly, many people with allergy problems will do well with dogs of a certain coat or hair.

Dogs with a thick, dense coat tend to hold their dander down and cause less allergies. If a person is allergic to a dogs saliva, that person will have problems. In a dog, a common behavior is to lick peoples faces and its hard to avoid this. My experience is that saliva isn't that great a problem.

Since the coat of a poodle is the critical reason why the dog is "hypoallergenic," all poodle mixes have a greater chance to cause allergies. When you see these dogs, their coat is different.

If someone has their heart set on a mixed breed dog, but they have allergies, this is what I would do. Actually, I recommend this for any breed dog that a person with allergies is considering.

Visit the breed of dog you like 3 times. The first 1hour visit shouldn't cause any problem. The immune system has to be sensitized to the dander and this will occur at this time.

Go visit the breed again for about 1 hour in 2 weeks. See if a reaction occurs.

If all goes well, go visit the breed for 1 hour 2 weeks later. If no reaction occurs, there is a reasonable chance you won't have problems. If one discusses allergy problems with the breeder, a reputable breeder will take the dog back if it causes health problems with the family.

• 1 decade ago

NO! It MAY have LESS allergens.

The poodle is known as "hypoallergenic" that means low not no allergens. Some people may still have reactions to poodles.

When you bring other dogs into the mix, then it may or may not retain the traits of the parent. The mix may be hypoallergenic, may only have a slight reduction in the allergens, or may not be anything special at all.

There are some dogs that ON AVERAGE are tolerated better by some people with mild allergies. There are no dogs that are guaranteed not to cause allergies, and some people may have problems with one breed and not another- or even may see a difference between two dogs of the same breed.

The only way to tell is to spend time with the dog so the individual person can see if the individual dog causes a reaction.

• 1 decade ago

They were first bred to be seeing eye dogs for people allergic to the Labs they were already using. The experiement failed and they found that people were just as alleregic to the Lab/Poodle mixes, so they started testing allergic people against a specific DOG and found they could find a specific Lab that people could handle...proving that mixing with a Poodle is NOT going to produce a hypoallergenic dog.

• 1 decade ago

No. Poodles are a low shedding dog. A mix may or may not get the low shedding fur. Allergies are caused by dander, not fur. Dander is composed of dead skin cells and dust brought in on the dogs fur. All dogs have skin, so all dogs have dander, so all dogs can cause allergies. To keep the dander down, bathe and brush your dog regularly, vacuum and dust your house daily, and anytime your dog get extra dirty, it is time for another bath. Use a good conditioning shampoo such as an oatmeal shampoo that will help keep your dogs skin moisturized. That will help with the dander also.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Maybe after 40+ years of selective breeding..but we all know the BYBs will be bored by then, don't we?

It happens, but they tend to have shedding coats (even with Poodle fur), and dander, which people are most often allergic to. There are too many Lab traits involved to ensure a nonallergenic dog.

• 1 decade ago

Yes and no.

Any dog can produce "allergens", depending on what the person is allergic to. Most people are allergic to dander. Curly coated dogs shed less, thus producing less dander.

However, when you cross a curly coated dog with a short hair dog, not all of the puppies will be curly coated low-shedding dogs. Some dogs will inherit the curls, some will inherit the Lab's short coat, some dogs will come out with a wiry-somewhere-in-between coat.

• 4 years ago

Do not be fooled into all this doodle = non-shedding nonsense. Because it is nonsense. The shorter the coat, the less of a problem the shedding, but all dogs shed, unless they are hairless. My pal has a Schnauzer which has minimal shedding, but he needs regular sessions with the grooming parlour. Greyhounds/Whippets have very short single coats and my experience with my puppy Whippet has been very favourable in terms of leaving hair all over the place (not). Greyhounds truly don't need that much exercise - they do need the ability to have a good blast however, and a fenced area is probably essential because they will chase, obviously - and the ex-racers must always be watched, especially around cats. Whippets too are fast, and need their space to run, but both breeds are also equally happy, having had their blast, to spend the day dozing in the sun. I imagine most of the terrier breeds, those with short coats, wouldn't be too much of a problem as far as shedding goes, and they are an active group. As for the unfenced field - how successful that is is down to you and your training abilities!!

• it depends. Labs are not non allergic..so maybe yes, maybe no. with a mixed breed you never know which traits from which parent the pups are going to have. You have some of one and some of the other....or all of one or all of the other. You just don't know with mutts

• Mary J
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

NO that is a myth that is being spread by BYB and puppy mills in order to sell their poorly bred mutts for more money. We have 2 in our shelter right now that the owners turned in because they made their allergies worse.

• 1 decade ago

A mixture like that really depends how the pups turn out regarding their hair, the texture, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.