Can I soak sippee cup valves in bleach water?

I want to really soak those white plastic valve pieces from my daughter's sippee cups, because I can't manually get in there around the plastic to clean them very well. They are getting a build-up and I was thinking that soaking them in bleach water might do the trick. But, is this safe? Will the bleach, even when rinsed well, still hurt my daughter when she drinks from those cups later? Thanks!

Update:

the dishwasher is usually what I use on a daily basis but it is not cleaning the inside of the valves at all.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes you can. I work in a child care center and bleach water is the only thing the health dept wants us to us. The valves can get really gross and can even grow mold. Once the bleach water dries it is not harmful.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I dont think bleach water is good.... I knwo what you mean about the sippy cups valves.. they're really annoying! Get one of those bottle brushes that oyu can take the top part of to clean valves or bottle nipples that's what I use.

    Also I recently bought my daughter a Nuby sippy cup and it has no valve AND it doesnt leak!!!

    It has a soft spout kind of like the bottle but shaped like a sippy cup. I still have some of the other sipy cups that Im about to replace them for Nubby sippy bottles!! Im done with valves!! LOL

    Source(s): Mom of Matthew 4 and Gabriella 21 mos
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    As long as you rinse them well, should be okay.

    I used the same valves from Playtex sippy cups but eventually switched over to the colorful inexpensive Wal-mart kind when my daughter started to drop her cups a lot less. Those valves kept on falling down my garbage disposal!

    Source(s): Mommy of one tot
  • 1 decade ago

    Using bleach would worry me. I don't think I would eat or drink anything myself that I used bleach to clean. I think even if you rinsed it really well that the plastic would still absorb the bleach into it. Try steaming it in the dishwasher or microwave steamer.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

    no one could use bleach for something. It gets absorbed into our dermis, our nasal passages, into the plastic which then is going into the mouth. Use white vinegar instead, then boil some water and permit the straw soak in it to fully rinse it so it would not flavor undesirable. Bleach shouldn't additionally be in our residences, this is the main threatening chemical interior the living house. i take advantage of bleach decision from Melaleuca, this is plenty safer.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    no bleach. try boiling or soaking in a solution of white vinegar and water. should do the trick. rinse well.

  • 1 decade ago

    I had this problem. Answer: Buy a nipple brush. They get really good in those valves. Failing that, cotton buds for your ears work good too.

    Source(s): been there!
  • 1 decade ago

    No, I would suggest that you use the dishwasher. The dishwasher is very sterile.

  • 1 decade ago

    I would use white vinegar and water (equal parts of both).

  • i wouldn't but i dont think it could hurt her if you did

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.