Questions about an NC hardship license.?

My parents recently adopted my cousin, a 16 year old highschool dropout because she had some family troubles, and now we're putting her back in school. I'm 17, and don't have my license, or permit. We live about 30 minutes from the high school, and I have a 7 year old sister who goes to the elementary school which is about 5 minutes from the house (but obviously, about 25 from the high school.)

The big problem we are having now is that my cousin is going to high school again, and classes start at 8:30 for her (regular start time), but I have an honors flex class that starts at 7:30. My 7 year old sister, however, starts at her elementary school at 8:00.

Obviously this poses a problem, as my mom has to drop me off at 7:30, drive BACK to the elementary school to drop my sister off at 8:00, then BACK to the high school to drop my cousin off at 8:30. There is no possible way (credit wise) to get my cousin into a flex class, and I can't drop my class.

Is there any way I can apply for some sort of hardship license so that I can drive to and from school every day? It's going to cost a fortune in both gas and time for my mom to do this everyday.

I have completed the driver's ed course at school (both class time and driving time), my mom just never took me to get my permit. I also have straight A's, so becoming ineligable for a license due to grades isn't really an option. The bus isn't really an option either, as we live so far out that my cousin would have to get up well before 4 o clock, and although I suppose that IS a possibility, it wouldn't work out well for her, or her grades.

Thanks for any input.

So you're saying to be a HARDship, something has to be impossible? Ok...

It's a hardship because coming out of the situation she did, the last thing she wants to do is go to school, and making her get up at 4 in the morning everyday is going to make it that much worse.

Not to mention the fact that that's about 2 hours of driving for my mom EACH morning, (plus about the same for the afternoon, as well all get out at different times as well).

As I said above, I can't just "get" a license, because I'm 17, and would need to have a learner's permit for a year before getting my license. There's obviously no reason to get a learner's permit (as I don't have one) because there is LESS than a year until my 18th birthday, when I can just get my regular license.

You can't just skip the learner's permit step, unless there is something I don't know about.

Favorite Answer

So what's the hardship?

Sure, it's a difficult commute, but it's not impossible.

Make her get up at 4. I got up at 5, to catch a 6:15 bus, for years, because I lived 45 minutes from the school, and was the first pickup.

Hardship licenses are for those who are barely underage and need to drive to take parents to Doctor appointments and such. No hardship license allows you to drive to school. You are 17, why not get your regular license? Bottom line is that you will not be able to do what you want to. Find another solution.

attempt calling your community DMV. in the event that they have those, they'll ask you why you're in difficulty and could probable desire evidence , like employment status and issues like that. stable success with toddler!! :-)